Last reply 3 months ago
Financial Support

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with RRMS 4 years ago whilst working as a Deputy Head Teacher. I had to change jobs 2 years ago to a lower position (to reduce stress) and now only work 3 days (due to fatigue). Money is now a big concern.

I assumed that as I have no visible signs of disability, I wouldn’t get any support, but I note under the Equality Act, an MS diagnosis automatically counts as a disability. Does this mean I could get some support? Are the any organisations that can help me with this?

Big thanks!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

8 months ago

This link will point you in the right direction….
Ask the citizens advice bureau to help you with the paperwork…. Even if you’re Einstein it’s designed to trip you up.
Wish you luck

8 months ago

Before ill health retirement i was a PIP decision maker. This benefit is not based
on the condition but on your abilities. Definitely take advice.
If you have a mortgage then look to see if you have insurance as ms is a condition that is covered.

8 months ago

I’ve never been on Aubagio but when I was taking both Rebif and Copaxone there were “0 copay” programs or Copay Assist programs to make sure the medication could be affordable. They also came with a nurse line if you wanted to use it and they would call quarterly to check in with me. I sense they make a lot of money on these drugs and want to keep you on their program. Regardless I found the copay assistance programs helpful. If I search Aubagio and 0 copay assist I do get a hit and you could try that-


8 months ago

Quick question…. I’m now in a wheelchair……pip people have me assessed as being able to walk 100m .
Do I have to go through the same paper work again???
Just wondering….
Thanks for any info

8 months ago

@highlander you can ask for a reconsideration by telephone. If unsuccessful you will then need to appeal.
If you feel that they have missed something or you have further evidence then send it in. Speak to your MS nurse if you need further evidence.

3 months ago

I have just recently notified the DWP/PIP that I am now in a Wheelchair when outside of my home, and am now awaiting a reply.

3 months ago

There is great advice here. Just be aware there is also the Access to Work / Access in Work scheme to help with work to and in travel. This has been my lifeline. Good luck X

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.