Last reply 3 months ago
Workers or disability union??

Hi guys, I need some help.

I was diagnosed just over a month ago with RRMS. Currently in relapse, affecting my left leg and foot. I’ve been housebound for about 6 weeks. I’ve been working from home for the minute. Although I’m supposed to be client facing a few times a week.
I have not had a day off or called in sick at any point. My manager is aware and doesn’t want HR to get involved. He’s been quite understanding at points but let’s say there are things that are worrying me. I understand about the Equalities Act, etc. I’ve been keeping a track of any emails.

I’d like to join a Union for extra help and protection. Essentially I’d like advice on what type of union I should be joining, whether I should be looking at a normal workers union or whether I should be looking at a union that specialises in disability. Or whether it really matters. Any recommendations or advise would be much appreciated.

P.S I’m in corporate IT sales. Specifically an Account Manager/BDM. So nothing specialist.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 months ago

@erika_galli , hi neighbour, any decent Union should have a disability adviser.

In the event of any problems, insist on getting HR involved. You may also be able to call on ACAS ( for advice too.

However, it is more diplomatic to try and talk these things through before involving Unions or ACAS. Bosses are sometimes unaware of their obligations.

But, it’s wise to keep a records of any related discussions/communications.

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.