Last reply


Free prescriptions DVLA and Benefits

i would like to know if you're eligible for free prescriptions. I received a copy of the 'exempt' categories, however, 'MS' was not on the list. Do I have to approach my GP? I am visiting my consultant on Friday and we will be discussing the possibility of medications, but to be honest, I dont think I will be able to afford it on a monthly basis. Then I understand that I will lose my driving licence temporarily. My GP has advised me that he does consider me fit to drive which is a relief, but its just a paperwork procedure. Lastly, are we all eligible for disability benefits? It seems like a MENSA form on line... Thank you for your patience... xxx



Bubbles the answers to your questions are really determined by where you live and how advanced Your MS is. I live in Wisconsin, I am a Nurse with a Masters Degree in Nursing.I have been "Disabled" since August 1, 2008. If you are in the US and your GP thinks you are to advanced to drive I would think you would qualify for SSDI. Mind you depending on how much SSDI you get you may or may not be able to work and keep your disability. After You have been on SSDI for 2 years you automatically go on Medicare. In my case i have medicare and medacaid. I pay very little for my drugs but have a HUGE cost Share for my Medacaid. Just something to think about. When applying for SSDI very few people are approved the first time but I was. It is worth it especially if you can not work Rachel



My driving licence got changed to a 3 year one as soon as I informed them and they had to check with Consultant to see whether I would be fit enought to continue driving.. There are 10 categories where you might get a Medical Exemption Certificate which include having diabetes, thyroid problems, cancer etc but the only one that could be in relation to MS is: A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months If your GP deems that you fit this category then he needs to fill in the FP92A form and you will receive a Medical Exemption card. If you don't fit this category then you can fill in an HC1 form (Low Income Scheme) to see if you're eligible for Help with your Health costs as they look into your income and outgoings etc. If that's not suitable then a Prescription Pre-payment Certificate (PPC) could be worthwhile at £29.10 for 3 months or £104 for 12 months. In relation to DLA my Consultant refused to fill in the form I sent as he said I wouldn't be eligible for it. He then said when I was struggling walking etc last year that if I wanted him to fill it in he would but he didn't really think it'd be worth it so there was no point!! Kath.x



Hi If, when you say Medications, (in the UK) - you mean Beta Intaferon or Copaxone etc - You don't pay a prescription for these. Mine just arrive monthly by courier etc.



Hey, for the betaferons etc in the UK-you get sent an invoice for the prescription...eg, after 6 months of rebif, I got an invoice for £7.40. It's invoiced after you've had it and could be every 6 months / yearly from what I got told by Bupa. Munchies is correct about the excemption with the whole list of bits so I won't repeat them-my doc and the various pharmacies told me that unless I was permanently needing someone's help to go out, you don't qualify-as mentioned-even if a relapse/ recovery last several months, you still wouldn't come into this catagory. Re DLA- it depends on how badly your MS affects you and with what symptoms. Having MS in itself (or any other disablity) does not mean that you qualify for DLA. Hope this helps, x



Hi Bubbles. Just to clarify - I was on Copaxone for 1.5 years and then Betaferon for a year and a bit. The prescriptions are sent from my primary care trust directly to the company that prescribes and delivers them. I have never had a single prescription pass through me for it and more importantly I have never been invoiced for any of it or had to pay a single penny. I appreciate there may be regional differences and Primary Care Trusts may differ in the UK as to how this works. The above is my experience. Hopefully it might be one less thing you have to worry about.



I am from Scotland and now live in England.. am thinking when I start on meds.. if I can just pop home to see mum and dad (nod nod wink wink) I can just get my script then... why I here you ask? ERMM prescriptions.. regardless of what the problem are free!! come on England .. get on board! lol



You know what you guys? you're just fab... thank you so much for your guidance. its a minefield out there and i guess i just dont know where to start with all of this.. thanks for all your replies.... love ya xxxx



Prescriptions are free here in Northern Ireland too. I was on betaferon for a couple of years and was sent a letter from my MS nurse every 3 months to let me know my betaferon prescription was ready for pick up at the hospital pharmacy. I always got 3 month worse of injections at a time. With regards DLA, the form is so difficult to fill in as you have to know what their criteria are. We all tend to minimise our disabilities and capabilities and therefore can easily eliminate yourselves from the accepted category. In my experience, try to seek out the advice and help of a Citizen Advice Bureau adviser or get in touch with your local branch of MS Society. I filled my application with my partner and a MS society development officer. It is a gruesome application which really looks at every aspect of your daily life so don't shy away from stating the truth. One thing you have to keep in mind, is that you have to complete the form stating how things are when you are at your worse so think back to your worse relapse. Delighted to join your wee community guys.x



Hi Bubbles, I'm much more severely effected and do now qualify for prescriptions as I need help to get out of the house all the time, but DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is another story. I just wanted to echo what muriel said that you should get help filling in the form from someone who knows what the criteria are like the CAB or your branch's welfare officer and you need to do it as of your worst day.



I was on Rebif injections for a few years and had to start paying for my prescription when the provider changed to Bupa home healthcare. It was just a direct debit out of my account, so nothing too painful, but I needed to pay for it. Since i changed to hospital treatment this has stopped though.



Disability Living Allowance depends on a few things. You basically have to fill out the mammoth form and they decide what, if anything, you are eligible for. Just having MS isn't actually a guarantee, you need to actually have problems with self-care and/or walking. After a few attempts, I was finally granted higher mobility (because I walked with a stick) and lower care, but that took some hassle. In terms of prescriptions, I'm still on the now defunct Incapacity Benefit so I don't get them for free, but I believe this oversight has been corrected for the benefit that has replaced it. I don't think you can get them free unless you are claiming one of the qualifying benefits, though. If you do have to pay for them, getting a PPC fromhttp://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx can work out cheaper than paying for each prescription individually. I also have a provisional from the DVLA that just needs to be renewed every two years because of the health condition: it isn't an automatic disqualifier unless you have problems that specifically hinder your driving ability.



My advice is move to Wales,Scotland or NI lol as prescriptions are free there. I live in Wales just on the Border, if I lived 1 mile up the road in Chester I would have to pay English fees as I live just outside Chester in wales my Prescripts are free.



Ooh I forgot to say also that the 12 month PPC you can get as a Direct debit of 10 payments of £10.40 as well. Obviously as said above if you are getting medication straight from hospital then these probably won't need to be paid for but if it's from a normal community pharmacy where each item costs £7.65 it might be worth a thought.x



you darn well should be eligible for DLA. And it IS a monster of a form. Advice? Go slow, get some help and DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE YOUR SYMPTOMS. They need to know how bad you are on a bad day. So mention every little thing. Yes i need help to shower, yes i need help with shopping. Cannot lift a kettle, cannot hold a hardback book open..........get the picture? Give em some welly gal!



o reddivine... you make me giggle - thank you... one of the many forms to go through thanks all for your guidance... now i sound like Arnie.... i'll be back ... hee hee xx



I have done the DLA form but not submitted it yet as gathering more evidence but what I did was do it chunk by chunk cause even the benefit advisers I work with understand how much of a drain it is and daunting to complete, but what have you got to lose? :) I'd try the HC1 form if you aren't eligible through exemption, they may offer to pay half and if not the pre payment card is decent value if you have more than 2/3 prescriptions a month.



With regards to DLA, and forms DLA is soon to be replaced with Personal Independence Plans (PIP's) Don't fill it in yourself. Get help from local Social Services, CAB or other. Keep a COPY of your application. DLA applications often include your GP's report. Obtain a copy of it. Mine was useless, inaccurate and didn't even have my correct drugs NOR mention my current condition. I put together some useful links, see below. I actually compiled them for another condition but they may still be of use. J As the Governments new Welfare Reform Bill has now been passed the document below may become out of date. However for more details on the bill see the link: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/latest-news/1541-welfare-reform-bill-passed-in-full?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BenefitsThund?ork&utm_content=8+March+2012 These notes and links are for guidance only. Always seek proper advice when filling in claims or contacting departments:)J DLA and Benifits UK only.. Also see Doc Excerpt From the Disibility Handbook.I've compiled some useful links specifit do DLA and benifts for those in the UK. The Goverment is has proposed changes to benifts replacing DLA with PIP's Personal Independence Payments.. Time will tell on how much these changes affects us. Stating mental issues such as stress, or loss of work, partners stress etc etc. may earn you points for DLA claims. Its hard to go through those 'worst days' if your feeling good but if they're gonna come round again THATs when you need that extra bit of help.:) or local council social workers are there to help, and sometimes Citizens Advice Bureau can be valuable:) Do NOT rely on one source. As with all correspondence. Keep a copy. Its a good idea to draft on a 'spare copy' which you then use as a template for the final form to submit to DWP. You then have reference for when you go to tribunal. Or if you have to renew your claim. While some manage to fill in the DLA, and other forms alone, and recieve successful applications, it does not do any harm to seek advice or read the resources & tips provided here. Notes and lists compiled by JW MIND the Big Book of Mental Health and Benefits. Invaluable. Benefits and forms explained with letter & form examples. Annual publication and worth the costI ts £16 quid well spent. http://www.mind.org.uk/shop/books/work_money_benefits/461 Private organisation/support group that provides VERY useful info. Subscription for forum and document downloads (which can be kept) Worth the subscription.. In my opinion. http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ Age UK formerly Age Concern http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/ CAB http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm Carers UK http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/help-with-money The Disability Handbook Ref used by professionals to make decisions. Provides basic facts of health conditions only.. http://www.newtons-online.net/documents/the 10isability?andbook.pdf Gov info on DLA and benefits http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/index.htm Gov link to the Disability Handbook This document is used as a framework on DLA applications and states scientific facts of treatment only. It does not describe any patient experiences, emotions etc. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/specialist-guides/medical-conditions/the-disability-handbook/ Direct Payments As opposed to Main Government benifts such as Disability Living Allowance, Income Support and Attendence Allowance which come from the Government Department of Work and Pensions, Direct Payments come from your Local Authority. (Local Council)Direct Payments can be used for a number of things as agreed with social services, such as employing a PA/cleaner, or to pay for an agency worker.You should contact your local Social Services to be assesed for Direct Payments. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10018721