Last reply 3 months ago
Corona virus

I am preparing my body (updating all immunizations, etc) to start Ocrevus. I have concerns about what this means amid the corona outbreak. It will leave me more compromised. Debating on postponing treatment but I am in active MS and getting worse. I also work in the service industry and am face to face with many people daily so hibernating at home is not an option. Besides 3 kids would bring home bugs anyway. What would others do?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 months ago

The MS Societies have been posting updates and just posted on Friday about some patients postponing starting or getting their on-going infusions. I will be checking in with my neuro shortly as I should have my first full infusion mid April. I need to confirm if that is still on-

I’d check with your doc about your concerns- until last Friday there were no warnings and then they finally posted-

3 months ago

If you use your little magnifying glass in the upper left and put in Covid you will see active discussions…especially good info loaded by Dominics

3 months ago

From what I can tell, BC is not being hit as hard. I am from Vanvouver and take ocrelizumab (though I live in the UK now).

The way ocrelizumab works it to give your immune system a pretty good kicking in the form of a nearly knock-out blow. Technically it is a B Cell depletion monoclonal antibody – if you care about that!

The redosing at 6 monthly intervals is the equivalent of keeping it down with a hard kick. Over time it is more and more depleted. I am 4 doses n and now they are looking at testing lymphocyte levels and tailoring the time of redosing at it is far less likely that I will need it as often.

Vancouver is pretty hot on MS treatment and it is likely that, given the individual nature of everyone’s disease, the advice you receive is a risk/benefit balance. It always is and it is different for everyone. There is no definitive answer.

See how the virus spreads in the Lower Mainland and the Island, what sort of people do you come into contact with and stay in close contact with the MS Nurse/Neuro etc.

The issue with Covid 19 in the UK is the astonishing growth rate. Personally, my concern is that I am fully depleted and there is no way to reverse at this stage. I am being extra careful.

Best of luck and, as you are in Nanaimo and it is a pretty tight community, you might actually know Terry and Kerri-Lynne 😉

3 months ago

As always @dominics thanks for your insight and stay safe. As said I’ve had my first two half doses and due for my first full in April. Hoping they go forward but waiting to hear if there is a delay…will do as advised. My daughter is in high school and will be done with that by the end of May…if anything it would make sense to delay until after June 1 when she isn’t in school and our house will be pretty quiet until she goes to college in the fall.

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.