karmenms 09/02/18
Last reply 5 months ago
Working out?

Hello lovely people!
As you helped me before I need your help once again.
As we all know, fitness and working out is a big part of dealing with MS but there is a few things that I dont understand.
I have days where my hand and leg are weak and I am not sure should I still work out on those days or should I just skip them?
What kind of workouts do you suggest?
I am a little bit lost because I dont know how to start this fitness journey and what to expect (I still consider myself a newbie).
Thank you so much in advance!
All the best,
Karmen

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@karmenms , little and often is the mantra.

I do know how you feel though. Different times of the day seems to suggest I have a different pair of legs. Some pairs work, some don’t! 😕

londonlad
5 months ago

@ karmenms
i think “the little and often mantra” is correct.
its much better to start and be consistent, than go too hard too quick and not be able to maintain it

start with the basics – i am not sure you current symptoms – but i had to focus on balance for first few months… and then i moved onto basic cardio – and now running/rowing and doing weights. but took 6 months of going for 45mins 3/4 times a week

if you can get a personal trainer, even for a short period, i would consider it an investment. if you can’t, then perhaps you have friends/family who are into fitness, who could help, and be motivating partners in going together.

if you nurse/ doctors say its safe to train with the symptoms you have? then i would say, you can push yourself, as long as you don’t overdo it.. not easy to know how much that is,, but you will learn with time. plus i bet you’ll get addicted eventually. i have! i lost 12kg in a year.. and feel great for it..

message me if you want any specifics on things.
best of luck.

maj11
5 months ago

Hey!
Firstly- I’ve seen your vids on YouTube. I’m newly diagnosed so really appreciate seeing your journey. May start a channel myself.
I also just do less than I used to. That being said, I make sure to move every day. Some days a long walk, some days a run- up to 4km (I used to run much longer distances but now I try not to push it) I also do five minute ab workouts and stuff- which are easy to find online. The five minute strength training exercises are great because they’re less intimidating…and I find that I don’t make excuses not to do them.
I’m not sure if this is right, but I run even when I’m in pain. My left leg alternates between feeling dead/spastic, but I figure if it’s going to let me run, I am going to make the most of it….not sure if it’s responsible but it makes me happy.

cameron
5 months ago

My physio told me that the moment any limb starts to hurt, that is the moment when the exercise stops doing you any good. With that in mind, I decided not to struggle on with the exercise bike and stepper, as I could only manage two or three minutes on each before my knees and thighs began to hurt. I’ve found a big difference in my ability to tolerate activities, so it must have to do with how the MS damage affects various muscle groups. In the gym, the rower plus arm/shoulder machines suit the best. Other than that, swimming and aqua classes impact hardly at all. Occasionally I’ve overdone things and pay the price of muscle strain – and then had to have physio to sort it. I think it’s a question of trial and error – the goal is to do as much as possible without collateral damage!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.