becks32uk 07/01/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Work worries

I have been off work sick and I am worried about returning on Monday. I have appointments and I feel worried to ask for time off to attend. I feel like this MS is becoming an inconvenience for my employers, and I was only diagnosed in September. To much time off, to many appointments.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@becks32uk , you need to read through this publication:-
http://www.mstrust.org.uk/shop/product.jsp?prodid=246 . It’s available as a hard copy and you can read it online.

Basically, it covers a lot of these issues. So you need to consider having a chat with your manager or Human Resources to look at the way forward.

Your employers have a legal obligation to try and help you…….

I hope you can work it out, as you really don’t need the stress of this situation. 😉

becks32uk
3 years ago

I have read it, I know what there obligation is, but practice, it’s not that clear cut. I have tried to talk to my manager and hr. And it just feels like there just pulling ranks, there refusing to actually be impartial and give my concerns the serious time it deserves. Mention the discrimination and they got really angry, now it’s just made me feel isolated and damaged the relationship I had. It doesn’t pay to complain.

Now I must return to work and pretend that everything is ok.

stumbler
3 years ago

I’m sorry, @becks32uk , this is a continuation of a problem that you started in a recent thread, so I’ve been repeating myself – you should have said.

Have you managed to have a word with your Union yet? They should be able to give you some advice.

But, I feel that you should ask for any managerial advice and direction in writing – just “a copy for your records”. Bullying is seen as fair practice, until you ask them to make it formal.

Is it a big company that employ you? I’m just wondering whether there could be any mileage in letting your MP know what’s going on. They may be able to approach your employers at a high level to ensure that they know about their legal obligations.

Although, with the attitude that you’ve experienced to date, I can’t see there being a good outcome. By them increasing the stress on you, there’s a chance that this will make your MS become more active which could have a long term impact on you.

It’s a difficult situation for you. We know they’re in the wrong with their attitude but that’s no consolation. Theory and practice are never similar…..

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.