Last reply 1 year ago
Windows 10 – reduce visual stress?

Can anyone tell me how I can change my new laptop display so that it gives me less visual stress? My eyesight is so sensitive at the moment.

I can see there are high contrast options, but I think I need low contrast, definitely no black or white. What I really want is a sort of colour filter over everything.

Thanks!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Does your laptop have night option like the phones do?

Anonymous
1 year ago

I can’t find anything like that . Good thought though. My phone does it automatically.

I hate Windows 10. Realising how much I was doing things by memory rather than vision.

Anonymous
1 year ago

I’ve now managed to find the brightness setting and turned that down, but I could really do with a coloured filter too if anyone knows how to do that.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, if you right-click on your desktop, you should get a set of options, which includes “Personalize”.

Select this option, to open the settings options.

Select “Colors” , then scroll down on the right side and there’ll be an option for “high contrast settings”

Select this option and there are a few options for you to experiment with.

There’s also lowering the brightness……..

Give me a shout if you need further help. 😉

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, there may also be a “Night Light” option available.

Select the “Notifications” icon, extreme bottom right of the screen.

If necessary, select expand towards the bottom of this display. One of the boxes should give you the “Night Light” option. Select this to turn it on and off.

Anonymous
1 year ago

Thank you @stumbler but I need low contrast not high, and bizarrely they haven’t included a theme for that even though many dyslexics need low contrast too.

There’s no night light, but I’ve turned the brightness down.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal,

There are 4 high contrast “themes” available, but each attribute can be personalised to your taste. Just select, which colour you’d like to change………..

😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

Yay! Thanks @stumbler! I didn’t see the advanced setting bit at the bottom.

I have now successfully altered it so that most text has completely disappeared 😂 but will have another play later.

Anonymous
1 year ago

And on this subject – I’d like to say thank you to everyone at ShiftMS for designing a forum that uses a sensible font, layout and colours so that people like me can read it with relative ease. It’s so much better than most websites out there, and it looks good from an aesthetic point of view, too.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

My two year old son turned the Steven hawking mode on for me I think the technique used was hit as many buttons as possible at the same time on the password screen and jobs a good en 👍 hope this helps (more shit eating grins)

bubblesgalore
1 year ago

this is just perfect. i have experienced visual stress over the last 10 days and i have just popped on to this site to ask exactly the same question. i have managed to sort out my desk top, but can you also colour the web pages too? im not having a lot of luck finding that one out. TIA x

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi @bubblesgalore , long time, no see.

I’m afraid it isn’t possible to change the colours of web pages. Web designers have been paid a lot of money to make their web pages look like they do.

Could your problem be resolved by lowering the brightness?

bubblesgalore
1 year ago

no sadly ive tried that one.. i guess i may have to purchase an overlay. ive been struggling within the last two weeks. granted ive been stuck to the pc/lap top as its year end and with normal/added stress of it being year end. guess its old age lol. thankyou.. and yes, been a long time and have been well with minor blips. ive managed to secure 1.5 days working from home which has been a god send. although i would really like to push for more and just go in to attend meetings. i recognise ive shot myself in the foot for promotion, but hey my health is more important. hope you’re keeping well, was pleased to see you were still active on here too xx

stumbler
1 year ago

@bubblesgalore , have you got a fairly sheer stocking that you could pull over the monitor? It would work as well as one of those filters.

OK, a pair of tights then. Ha Ha!

bubblesgalore
1 year ago

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.. you havent changed lol xx
and that did really make me laugh xx aww those were the days my friend x

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@bubblesgalore there’s a much more practical solution get on your pimp hat 🎩 and cane and stick a piece of coloured plastic the colour of your choosing on thee screen 📺 Jobs a bloody good en. You could even stick some fancy coloured piping round the edges if thee wants to get reet posh.

nicecupoftea
1 year ago

Hi @teal I’ve been using f.lux for a while. It’s a free download designed for filtering blue light, you can change the settings or how much of a reddish filter it puts on everything and when it should come on. I don’t know if that would be helpful? If you do like it, the app I use on my phone and tablet is called Twilight.

bubblesgalore
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud i thought that was what an overlay was? hahahaha. but yep, nothing to lose if i dont don my pimp hat and cane. and *now melting* totally love the idea of dressing the edges .. now thats smoooth thanks x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.