Last reply 7 months ago
Wheelchair Hunt

HELP
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone has a dilemma how to find a right wheelchair!!!!
I have been looking to buy more superior wheel to the one I have (basic NHS). I find it is easier to buy a car.
I am looking for wheelchair that is lightweight, sort of sporty, not too expensive in fact I want to look good in itif this is possible at all.
Any ideas ????

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
7 months ago

@music , you may want to use NHS Wheelchair Services, just to get the right measurements. Yes, wheelchairs really need to be made-to-measure. They may even offer you a (meagre!) financial contribution towards it.

And you want lightweight, sporty and cheap? Hmmm, it might be difficult to combine all three. I’ve seen a very snazzy carbon fibre self-propelled chair, but who would buy a wheelchair for £10,000?! 😯

As far as looking good in it, have you not realised yet that sitting in a wheelchair makes you invisible!? 😉 Ha! Ha!

Anonymous
7 months ago

Karma km 2512 is my ride not quite like my carbon bianchi but it is lightweight and easy to assemble and not bad looking unlike its occupant but as Stumblr says your invisible anyway lol
http://www.affordablemobility.co.uk/shop/productDetails.aspx?productCode=KM-2512%20SP

wrinkly
7 months ago

Have a look at http://www.careco.co.uk . They have a wide range and are quite reasonable. I got my chair from them a few years ago and it’s still in good shape – touch wood.
It’s funny, I never thought I would be talking about or using a wheelchair when I was a youngster.
Thanks MS!

lm24
7 months ago

I got the Quickie Xneon 2. It’s very lightweight and easy for me to lift in and out the car. I got graphite grey with red trim and I think it looks sporty. A stranger said the other day ‘by that looks fast’ and it is, same wheels that are on a road/racing bike. Where do you live? I can recommend a good mobility shop where I got mine in Gateshead.

music
7 months ago

Thank you everyone I really appreciate comments and I definitely want a sporty Chair stumbler , Yes I’ve noticed I’m a ghost in the chair 🤓

jman
7 months ago

@reddivine ‘s chair is a Karma.. but with a light drive it becomes a powered chair and is VERY zooty indeed. Still has the advantage of folding down and fitting in just about any car/taxi etc.

The only flaw I’d say in the design for the drive runs direct contact with the wheels, which wears down tires and also doesn’t handle fantastically with incorrect tyre pressures or wet weather.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.