Last reply 6 years ago
What is this site all about

I’m new here and wanted to find out more what this site is about. I see it has information and messaging. But was it started by an individual or one of the MS organizations? Who does it raise funds for? Just curious… 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

DJDsouza
6 years ago

Probably best to speak to @gpeps about this 🙂

gpeps
6 years ago

Hi @elinsweep – welcome to Shift.ms! The first Shift.ms site launched about three years ago. Shift.ms is a small charity set up by myself and @freddiems. I was diagnosed with MS aged 22, about 8 years ago. We felt there was a need for a site to support younger people, those who had only recently diagnosed and wanted to get on with their life, and maybe had different needs to people who’ve been living with MS for many years. We spoke to lots of other MSers, other charities, neuros and nurses etc about the need and decided to make it happen. After a couple of years of fundraising, the site went live in 2009.

Shift.ms is a community. We are independent and make decisions based on this being a friendly space, a place where users can support each other. We had lots of feedback about our old site, people wanted more social networking features etc… the current site went live about a month ago – we really hope people are liking it! Up until recently, nearly all the content and information had been user generated, but with the addition of the Magazine last summer and a project or two in the pipeline, we hope we can really add to the offering by creating some of our own content.

We fundraise to keep Shift.ms going. We want this community to help more MSers in more countries, and to provide more engaging content. This takes time, which unfortunately costs money!

Please ask if you have any questions.

Thanks,
George

bubblesgalore
6 years ago

this site has really helped me come to terms with my new diagnosis.. thank you xx

elin
6 years ago

Hi George,

Thanks for explaining that…and your mission/purpose/passion sounds much like mine for pediatric MS! 🙂
I’m not sure what age group your were initially targeting, but as the medical community is finding out, all ages are affected by this disease! Many of the members of my FB group have children under the age of 10 with MS.
The kids are my inspiration…I became very defiant about taking my Copaxone shots, but when I found out that 4, 5, 10 year olds were having to do injections, I felt VERY ASHAMED of my behavior and resolved to be a big girl about treatment.
Quite a few of the members live in the UK! 🙂
The PDDF website is VERY new and basic in its format right now, but it will evolve over time. PDDF is also beginning a collaboration with a pediatric MS clinic in Texas (UT Southwestern MS Clinic…Dr. Graves & Dr. Greenberg)…I’m excited about it!
I look forward to staying connected with Shift.MS.

Elin

reddivine
6 years ago

The current statement WAS for “young ppl with MS”…….well if you check out ppl’s profiles you will see its more young at heart!!
Theres many over 30/40/50 on here and lets face it, social network is not just the province of the young uns anymore. I’m really amazed at the number of young ppl on here that have been diagnosed at 18, 23, 26 and so on….when i was diagnosed, (mid 90’s) they told me it was picked up in ppl in their 30’s. There are very few under 30’s in my local branch of the MS society. Do stick around Elin, you pick some useful tips here!

elin
6 years ago

🙂 🙂

danrb80
6 years ago

Welcome to the site 🙂

brick
6 years ago

Out of all the sites this one is great for getting advice from people who are wanting to help. Actually being on this site has helped me relax and give me focus its great to help others when typically in my everyday life others help me

elin
6 years ago

Thanks for the welcome!
@brick – I’ve been on various chat rooms/message boards/etc. but often quit them due to members arguing over differing opinions of treatment procedures. 🙁
But I like to stay connected with people that have MS – often it’s them who have the best advice/help…not the doctors! 😉

Are most members here in the UK?

brick
6 years ago

Well I’m like you I have only just found this website i think I’m the only Scottish member I think but I’m sure there will be others – I think its mainly uk but not 100%

blueeyedbabe789
6 years ago

I’m so glad to see that there are more young ppl with MS – I’m the only one I know :/ Pretty much all the people at my Mum’s MS Soc groups (she has MS too) are 30+, so I don’t really feel like I’d fit in at one of their groups.

elin
6 years ago

@blueeyedbabe789
There is a FB group geared for kids/teens/young adults called Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Group. Some of the kids are younger but there are quite a few 18+ years. If you’re on FB, check them out. Also, the Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Alliance http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/PMSalliance/
is a group for parents whose children have MS. Quite a few of the parents have young adult kids with MS…you could join that group to get in contact with some people your age.
If you go to http://www.pddfoundation.org and look at the ‘photo’ sections, some of the kids’ stories are there. 🙂

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/320497841301336/

DJDsouza
6 years ago

I can’t get round the American spelling of paediatric….. sorry @Elinsweep 😉 (it’s still a very worthy group! 🙂

danrb80
6 years ago

I thought that was the word but thought most people on here were from UK so thought it might be a word id not heard. Haha gonna check out the FB page though sounds really interesting

DJDsouza
6 years ago

One of our clients at work are the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, so know only too well how we spell it this side of the pond 😉

reddivine
6 years ago

actually a reading of profiles shows ppl on here from, UK, USA, Canada, South africa, Australia and India!

ichope
6 years ago

Welcome @Elinsweep! I am new here too. I am finding all to be very friendly. It is nice to discuss topics that are relevent to us and is understood by us. Friends and family can be sympathetic but they do not GET IT.
@reddivine has it right, Young at heart!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.