rachaellouise 28/11/17
Last reply 4 months ago
What helps with heavy legs ?

Hi ,

I think I am having a relapse or flare up and I have hot burning legs . My legs feel heavy/ stIff
What do you do when your legs aren’t working properly when you walk? That’s my description of it lol

I have a few Physio moves but what really helps with the heavy / stiff legs to get them moving .?

Thanks all for your help and hope your all okay

Rachael xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

waynexxl
4 months ago

Been going through the same thing lately. I walk around like a drunk hobo. Doctor ordered Physical Therapy (start tomorrow) and said for me to try Ampyra. After reading about the effects here (short term help, long term worsening) I have decided not to take it.
My guess is that any type of exercise or therapy that helps to gain strength will be a good help. Steroids? ugh, but might alleviate some of the burning/heaviness.

good luck.

Wayne

stumbler
4 months ago

@rachaellouise , have a chat with your MS Nurse, to confirm, or not, whether it is a relapse.

For life-impacting relapses, e.g. visual or mobility problems, they’ll usually consider a short course of High Dosage Steroids.

rachaellouise
4 months ago

@waynexxl
@stumbler

I thought you both might say steroids. Im taking pregablin but not working . How long And at what dose does it take to kick in ? I’m a bit worried I might need those steroids too. Last time I had some in March – 5 days high dose . I was out of action for 2 weeks . Say on day 2 I started to feel exhausted then it took a week for me to even get moving ! Is this normal on steroids?
Also pumping heartbeat , I could even hear it when I was trying to sleep .

Thanks Ugh when is their going to be a cute or at least remission from this disease ! ? 👼🏼👼🏼👼🏼👼🏼 when are the Angels gonna come X

Rachael

cameron
4 months ago

Why not leave the decision to your neuro team rather than try and best-guess? I say this because on top of the horrible symptoms you’re very stressed (who wouldn’t be?). Once you’ve told them what’s going on, go with what they think and try and divert your thoughts. Concentrating on sleep, relaxation and mindless amusements will help more than going round in that loop. Let them do the worrying. Big hugs, Kay

nutshell88
4 months ago

I’ve been struggling with the same issue since I got vertigo in 2010. Till today. Its because Ive never went to a neuro physio regularly.
I hope you get well soon.

rachaellouise
4 months ago

@nutshell – thank you so much, hope to be well again soon.
I am seeing a Physio maybe need other exercises ? How come you never saw one ?

@cameron – it’s hard to divert thoughts when legs burning , reminder of ms and nerves not working as they should …
Yes I am stressed , particularly when I want children and worried about the dmd and kids. Feel little vulnerable …

The side effects of dmds don’t sound very good ! But haven’t looked too closely at them .

Xx

rachaellouise
4 months ago

cameron
4 months ago

Side effects – yes, very possibly, and there are ways round them available…. but not so easy to deal with worsening MS. As @stumbler says, it would benefit from talking to your nurse. We’re all vulnerable, and never more so than when feeling isolated. My GP calls it ‘catastrophising’. A thought pops up (never a nice one!) and it won’t go away, in fact it is repeated so often that you end up unable to think of anything else. She told me that EVERYONE with a chronic condition, not just MS, has a change in their mental state. I know I did and still need meds to keep me (in her words) ‘thinking the right way’. That’s why I believe talking to someone who has advised many, many people going through what we go through is the right path. Just my thoughts, best wishes, x

nutshell88
4 months ago

I met physiotherapists in the past but i leave them the week after and the neuro physiotherapist is far in another city. There might be one here but tbh i have no time. Work stresses me enough all week. So as long as i can walk run dance ect i can get on ok with the pain. But its been said whate never kills you makes you stranger lol.

rachaellouise
4 months ago

@nutshell88 lol that’s true ! What doesn’t kill you
– if you don’t mind me asking what kind of job do you do? It’s interesting to know people are managing to work and how they go about it
Do you do any exercises now or anything special ?Rachael

nutshell88
4 months ago

No, sadly I don’t do any activity. Not because I can’t but because I’m Saudi and they oppened gyms for women 5 years ago or so there was non before. But I live with my family we own a big house. My bedroom is upstair so I go downstair up stair more than once. And stairs at work too I fear the stairs cant balance perfectly on them.
I work in an academy as an advisor. And when I was in Scotland I worked as a recruitment manager. In citizens advice.

nutshell88
4 months ago

Mind you I’m skinny woman when I was daignosed my weight was 55kg in Scotland 39kg now 47kg age 30 ._.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.