Last reply 4 years ago
What can I take to reduce the burning

So i am experiencing this quite badly over the last month, all I get given is amitriptyline but I don’t take it as I’m not depressed nor do I want to feel like a zombie. I normally cope with this day in day out but it’s worse than I’ve ever felt and, only in my legs and sometimes hip. Any other meds available?

Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Anonymous
4 years ago

Weed

lina
4 years ago

@catfight I’m on Gabanpentin which is for pain and it easing my burning pain.

Lina

katfight
4 years ago

@lina Is this something you can take in the day..

@billybonza I’ve never been one for drugs or alcohol.. i mean this cud possibly change in the coming years but for now im happy to stay clear :p

stumbler
4 years ago

@katfight, the Amitriptyline is good for getting a good night’s sleep, something we all need.

It will mask the burning to allow sleep.

IMPORTANT: Just ensure you take the Amitriptyline at least 12 hours before you intend to rise the next day. That strategy should avoid the “zombie” effect the next day.

Anonymous
4 years ago

Hi Katfight,

fair enough, I don’t like drinking a whole lot either.

jj5sim
4 years ago

Hi @katfight
I know there is a stigma attached to taking any anti depressant but when taking amitryptiline on a low dose it does not act as an anti depressant. At 10-40mg it can combat neurotic pain, @ 50-80mg it acts as a sleeping tablet which can result in a zombie type state for some people, 90mg+ is when it becomes an anti depressant. As always everyone is different so it is trial and error. I was on amitryptiline for about 18 months and it changed my quality of life. I was on 20mg a day which gradually got increased to 50mg to help with neurotic pain. It took about a month before it made any difference because of the low dose but when it did I suddenly realised how much the pain was dragging me down on a day to day basis and how much I was just putting up with. Family and friends all commented how I looked more fresh than I had done for a long time. I am now on 75mg of norotryptiline which is from the same family as amitryptiline. I had a bad reaction to gabapenton (large rashes on my back and across my forehead, so was not on it for very long but a lot of people I know swear by it. Progablin is another one that my Neuro has recommended if the norotryptiline stops working. Hope you find something that works for you.

lina
4 years ago

@catfight yes you can take it during the day I take 900mg 1 x 300mg in the morning 1 x 300mg lunch 1 300mg at night been on this since end of July can make you tired you could mention it to your GP

Lina x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.