Last reply 2 weeks ago
Weight/muscle lose

Has anyone lost weight or muscle mass from being diagnosed wi this nightmare disease? Meal times for me are hit n miss. Sometimes I miss a meal due to being tired of preparing anything. I eat a lot of crap cos it’s just easier to do. I want to gain some weight on me. Are steroids good to help out?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

hmcampos
2 weeks ago

Easy there @rotherhamdave … 🙂 Putting steroids apart.

I was in the same situation, lost a lot of weight, not eating well at all. Even when I started changing eating habits the weight would still not come.

Took me years before I understood that for me as an ectomorph with MS it would require huge amounts of food to gain weight if I wanted to gain it the right way (no junk, low fats, low dairy…).

Advise, based on my experience: eat a lot of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower…) , a lot of good carbs (whole fruits, whole grains…), some good fats (avocados, nuts…) and a good mix of white meat and fish.

You should be seeing results in a few months if you get the macros right.

Note: there is a lot of info online for this, just make sure you get your sources right depending on your goals and go get that weight!!!

H

rotherhamdave
2 weeks ago

Thanks @hmcampos. If I dint live on my own n I had someone to help out do meals, I’d eat a lot more I am doing na. I just get tired so easily

hmcampos
2 weeks ago

I understand perfectly. Try making a hobby out of cooking, once you love it it will be less tiresome and more fun.

Cheers
H

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@rotherhamdave , on the days that I have to fend for myself, I keep a supply of Wiltshire Farm Foods meals in the freezer. There’s a huge selection of meals, which they deliver and they’ll even put them straight into your freezer for you.

Just zap them in the microwave, so handy if you can’t manage anything else.

https://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/

Other suppliers are available………

I doubt they’ll get you fat, but at least it’s a meal.

I wouldn’t consider steroids. They never get a good press.

It’s like the Russian female athlete. She went to the Doctors complaining that the steroids had caused hair to start growing on her chest. When the Doctor asked how far down her body it went. She replied,

“all the way down to my penis”!

rotherhamdave
2 weeks ago

Nice 1 @stumbler but not wi the Russian lol. Al try em out. I will look now

rotherhamdave
2 weeks ago

@stumbler I’ve had a nosey n they look nice meals. Do u get a decent portion on meals?

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@rotherhamdave , well, you wouldn’t get obese if that’s what you mean. But, they do me.

Going back to muscle wastage, this would be down to lack of use. I know exercise can be difficult for us, but we need to try and keep things moving. Is swimming a possibility for you?

guinness
2 weeks ago

@stumbler thank you for making me piss myself laughing, ok if it didn’t piss myself at your humour it would of happened anyway, another curve ball from my unwanted MS that’s started to visit 2 ,3 times a day. @rotherhamdave, you must be doing something wrong fella, I’ve piled the weight on but I agree with @ stumbler and @ hmcampos, but here are my reasons, I just cannot be Arsed ( Yorkshire saying ), I eat one healthy meal a day when the wife puts it in front of me, when she is not here it’s just Crap Crap and more Crap, I have, more than ever now to start and continue eating healthier meals all the time, ok like me, you and everyone else we are ill some more than others, I look at it this way, if I continue to put the wrong fuel in my body I will continue to break down on a regular basis ,and I do , you don’t need Steroids, just good healthy food and the correct attitude. Show some good old Yorkshire Grit and remember your only a message away to get help, support and advice.

rotherhamdave
2 weeks ago

Could be. I do have exercise items at home. Vibrating plate, exercise pedals, a stepper and exercises I learnt at Physio. I keep trying

guinness
2 weeks ago

@rotherhamdave now your going to tell me you go on them every day but if you continue to eat Crap are they really doing you any GOOD.

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

At highschool i was 55 kg
Second year highschool i was daignosed my weight was 60 kg after cortizone dose
At uni i was 57 at first them 56 then 54 52
Then i went to scotland to study by the time i came back i was 39kg 🌚
Now im 46kg

rotherhamdave
2 weeks ago

Thank everyone. @hmcampos, @stumbler, @guinness. All talk of food made me hungry. I’ve just tackled a bacon sawni. I’ve just got to push myself really hard to be bothered getting summat to eat. I guess this is day 1 n I will order from Wiltshire foods

guinness
2 weeks ago

@rotherhamdave you may think we or it may just be me, that we are nagging you but some people really really do care,and some people just need a kick up the Arse, but don’t worry as I wont be doing that as I would fall over,as it takes me all to even stand up, luv ya x

fingersandtoes
2 weeks ago

Carb up I say. Eat brain healthy fats too, I put olive oil and flax seed oil on everything and eat oily fish.

I lost weight when I started the OMS programme at the same time as starting on Tecfidera and starting ultra marathon training. I have learned to eat more (takes practice actually!) And I always have snacks like Kind bars on hand. I find I really fade if I leave it more than four hours before eating. I start to get side effects too. I know fasting is meant to be good for pwMS but I just don’t feel great.

A good snack in those early days was rice cake/peanut butter/sliced banana. Sometimes I would have three in a row before I felt satisfied. I’m eating less PB these days as try are higher in saturated fat but I’m having more cashews and almonds. These are also an incredible source of protein.

Try to get some exercise in. Don’t worry about burning calories – exercise will help increase your energy levels. Start small, just a bit more than you already do, and build from there. Make it something you enjoy doing too. Cycling, climbing, swimming, yoga, even tai chi are all good choices.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.