Last reply 1 year ago
Walking – should I stay or should I go?

Good evening Shift people!

Diagnosed with RRMS in Jan and doing well on Tecfidera and in general. No balance or dizzy problems. However, try as I might, I can’t walk for more that 15 mins before I feel disconnected. No numbness or tremors, it’s just like my legs can’t really be arsed to work any more! After a rest of 30 mins or so, I can go again but only for the same time of 12 to 15 minutes. I just don’t understand why that is. So, should I keep pushing myself to do more each time, or will that be harmful? I would be so grateful for any advice, still trying to figure out how this MS imposter works!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@vixen , never stop trying. But, exercise moderation. Push yourself, but don’t push yourself too hard. Little and often!

And, be wary of Uhthoff’s Phenomenon (https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/uhthoffs-phenomenon).

merfield
1 year ago

I had the same thing happen and I managed less and less so @stumbler is right – keep trying – little and often…..
I now go on an exercise bike at home for appx 20 mins with resistance 4, it means I’ve cycled about 2 1/2 miles, sometimes 3 depending on the effort I put in. Keep going @vixen…you can do it!!!xx

matic91
1 year ago

hi @vixen can you describe what happens with your legs after 15 minutes of walking? Cant you raise your feet or the entire leg? I ask because after let us say 700 metres i have the same issues. Besides i start making bows with my legs and consquently i kind of stumble on a stone or the road sometimes. How fast do you walk? do you make great steps or small? I go on a walk everyday, however now in this hot weather it is absolutely more difficult nevertheless i make that 700 meters.
@merfield you go on a stationary bike for 20 minutes? Wow impressive 😀 How fast do you cycle? and how are you legs after those 20 minutes? I tried to ride the SB for 20 minutes but my legs kind of stretched out by 16 minuts and 34 second 🙂 on a swing stepper it is much easier but there i have to put more effort in standing straight and holding my balance 🙂

cameron
1 year ago

I’ve found that different types of exercise produce different results. In the gym, any machine where I use my legs tires me after ten minutes, at which point my legs start aching and, as you describe, I just don’t want to continue. Ordinary walking is more variable and seems to depend as much on my general fitness as the terrain or the weather. Swimming, on the other hand, is very much easier and I can do this for up to an hour. I don’t know what goes on in the legs but I’m pretty certain that overall stamina helps. Once your overall strength is improved (i.e. whole-body exercise, not concentrating on the legs particularly), you may well find that your ability/motivation for ordinary walking gets better too. The trick is finding what aerobic exercise is do-able and sticking with that. x

merfield
1 year ago

Hi @matic91, I have to own up that when I started on the SB it was 5 mins…..I built up to 20 mins over a couple of weeks. I vary on speed between 10 down to 8.5 mph ( not fast but the best I can manage ) but I do try to keep up the speed. I’m hoping for muscles like Bradley Wiggins LOL….. Don’t think I could do a swing stepper – I’d fall off!!! After those 20 minutes, my legs have had enough and they’re a but more wobbly than usual, but I try ( sometimes fail ) to do it each day…..Sunday’s I have off 😉Xx

vixen
1 year ago

Thanks all for your comments, that’s such a help! This has been a stark reminder of the compromises we have to make. I love and crave the heat, and yet now I think about it, the furthest walks I’ve done since last summer have been in the winter which I guess would slow the rate of core temperature rising?

@matic91 I do tend to walk fast, always have done. Up until last summer with my first ‘onset’ I would always walk 60 to 90 minutes a day which has been part of the devastation of being diagnosed as I can’t do it anymore. The feeling I get after 15 minutes is a kind of spongy feeling, like I am feeling a bit shaky in general, not just my legs. Not physically shaky, but more like I’ve had an emotional shock or something. Does that make sense? I think it was @potter who suggested in a recent post of travelling on trips with a cool box with ice to put behind the neck to assist cooling. All these tips are so useful, but my word, a year ago I could never have envisaged that I would be making all these adjustments! Very lovely to feel that I’m in such good company with my fellow Shifters 🙂

potter
1 year ago

You will find yourself making adjustments that work for you and some don’t. I made some neck coolers that have this crystal in them that swell up when soak in water. You put them around your neck to keep cool, I found them to be creepy feeling and messy, then I had trouble with them molding and ended up throwing them away. July and August I stay inside it gets between 105 and 110F on the average during those months. If I have any yard work to do I go our before I have had breakfast or coffee. I also do my shopping early, when it is that hot my brain gets fuzzy, I am afraid to drive in the heat of the day even though my car has air conditioning. We just got back from our vacation to the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, we went as early a possible. The weather was perfect, still a little snow on the ground in areas but we didn’t even need a jacket. You can perceive your self as being disabled or you can just deal with it and keep on enjoying your life. I am at a age where our friends our having heart problem, COPD and cancer. I find myself thinking how much better I am doing than they are and feel sorry for them. Potter

matic91
1 year ago

@merfield omg im obviously once again making dumb things, because i normally ride my SB on the speed of 27 to 29mph 🙂 do you also do certain strength exercises?
@vixen i also walked for an hour or more. sometimes even faster than people around me run. 🙂 but by time i found out that i must lower my walking speed and start making shorter steps to keep myself in balance. 🙂 and as you said after i reach my let us say current limit i must rest, and then it goes on again 😀

merfield
1 year ago

@matic91…. You’re not being dumb at all…I’m a bit pathetic. I honestly can only do the speed I said and I can’t walk anywhere any more. Before MS we used to walk about 3 miles fast, every morning before breakfast, for about 15 years. But I walk with a walker up and down the kitchen and I do standup/sitdowns s l o w l y to try and keep my legs as strong as possible. I’m very impressed at your speed of 27 /29 mph WOW…that’s shifting!!!! If you can do it, DO IT, SB or walking……good on you. Xx

matic91
1 year ago

@merfield thank you very much for such a nice compliment 🙂 bet i will continue my bike road although i dont move at all 😀 however in this heat i rather avoid pushing myself to the limit, because MS can hardly wait for me to make such a mistake.
I wish you all the luck in the future and of course present 🙂

I’ve heard a good exercise for MSers is swimming, requires less effort for your body, but still works all the muscles.
I have yet to try this as I am a student and cannot afford the costs of swimming, so I do the same as you, I take a walk everyday if I have the strength. If I’ve been to work I don’t tend to as I work 6 hr shifts mainly on my feet.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.