Last reply 1 month ago
Walking …

I have been trying to walk twice a week.. I find if I walk with a friend I get upset that I am struggling and I don’t concentrate on walking so end up looking like a drunk, so usually walk by myself.
Does anyone live near me and would like to join me on my walks. I live in Kent, near Sevenoaks.
????

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

highlander
1 month ago

Hi @hester58
Welcome to the club!!!
You’ll find a lot of good information on this site.
So please tell us more about you….
How long have you had ms?
What flavour have you got?
I’m Scottish but live in Kent with spms
Enjoy and feel free to join in the chatter.

hester58
1 month ago

Hi Highlander
I am 60 and have had relapsing MS since I was 16 – long old time! I have been lucky that it has come and gone over the years but in 2015 I had a benign brain tumour removed and then I had an infection in the cavity between the bone and brain so ended up having three operations rather than one!
My MS went crazy and the relapses just wouldn’t go away – really annoying and since then my walking has been struggling- hence the walking. I am doing Pilates and am swimming and have now retired – I used to have a catering company which was hours and hours of standing.
I don’t know many people with MS but the few I do are awesome!
What about you ? How long have you had it.

highlander
1 month ago

@hester58
I’ve probably had ms for ages but as I’m a man I avoided doctors for years then when I did get round to it last year I was in a pretty sorry state.
Was given my dx two days before Christmas last year!
I’m afraid I can’t as much as I wouldn’t mind going walking with you, I’m now scooter bound, just about mange to make the bedroom holding onto everything within reach.
But you might find others close by use the map on the site, I would have a look for you but I’m on my phone at the mo as Bill Hates successor has given an update to my pc that just doesn’t want to run.
Keep smiling

hester58
1 month ago

Hi Highlander
Thank you for your reply. That was tough getting that news just before Christmas.
I was only diagnosed when I was forty for years they just said it might be MS. I don’t think MRIS had been invented when I was 16!
Thank you for the idea of looking at the map I hadn’t seen that. Typically there is a empty space around where I live! I find I am almost better walking on my own but just worry about tripping. I went for a walk last week with a friend who has a puppy and that was a nightmare because the puppy was all over the place – people that don’t have walking problems just don’t get how complicated walking is!
Have a good day!

katy79
1 month ago

Hi @hester58

I’m quite local to you – I live in Pratts Bottom. Lucky you having Sevenoaks to walk around. Do you make it in to Knole much? So pretty at this time of year.

I don’t think I’m the walking buddy you are after as I work full time in the City – but thought i’d say “hello” given we are local!

K

hester58
1 month ago

Hi Katy,
Lovely to hear from you. Yes Knole is exactly where I walk – the hills are a real challenge – we go to Norfolk quite a bit and I find the flatness there is so lovely.
How are you. The city must be quite hard every day?
Enjoy the sunshine today.

rivka
1 month ago

I am not able to volunteer to walk with you, @hester58, as I’m in Jerusalem, but I’ll pass on my experience
I find using a cane when walking for exercise helps a lot, I can focus better on keeping my balance with the cane giving me another point of reference for prioception issues. And it also gives me a physical barrier to others getting in my way and accidentally tripping me.
Hope you find the perfect walking partner!

rotherhamdave
1 month ago

Hi, I’m not walking reyt down there lol

katy79
1 month ago

Hi @hester58

Knole is both hilly and full of tree roots! – but very beautiful (and with a great coffee shop). I’ve been going there since I was a little girl – and have very distinct pre-school memories of having to defend my sandwiches from the deer!

I’ve been working in the City since law school (a terrifying 17 years ago – time does fly..) – with a couple of gaps to work in Tokyo and Moscow. I love it as a working environment – and did live in the City (Angel/Islington) for a few years – but have learnt that I am a country mouse at heart and like to have woods and fields around my home. I’m used to the commute so that doesn’t bother me (at least not when the trains are running!). I’m also very early on in my MS story (diagnosed Feb 2016 – although the number of lesions suggest I’ve had this hitchhiker for a while) and fortunate to only have had mild sensory symptoms and no noticeable fatigue. I’m hoping that early aggressive treatment (I’m a year post R2 Lemtrada) will help keep me this way for as long as possible – and ideally until they find the magic cure!

I’m a very keen walker – both hills and distances. In the summer I walked c.30 miles from Reigate to Knole along the Greensand Way (in training for a 100km charity walk along the south coast I completed for MSS in Aug). It was a scorching hot day and the beer in the White Heart has never tasted so good!

K x

vixen
1 month ago

Hello @hester58. I miss walking regularly too since I’ve been diagnosed. However, I have managed to build it up again by making myself have little walks every day. Have learnt how to set myself up; always carry a phone, never walk alone unless in a built up area, plan where any toilet facilities might be or make sure you go before leaving the house. You can buy cheap collapsible chairs which are quite light, too x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.