kateybash 23/04/17
Last reply 10 months ago
visual potential test?

Hi folks, can anyone tell me how the visual potential test works- I am going this Friday for a lumbar puncture and the visual potential test but my eye sight appears fine. I sometimes feel spaced out and struggle going on escalators but can ‘ read and see ok. Just wondering. Any advice??
Thanks
Kate

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
10 months ago

@kateybash , the Visual Evoked Potential (VEP) is nothing to worry about.

They’ll just put sensors around your head, then get you to watch a computer monitor, with a button to press when things happen on screen.

This will measure your visual reaction times.

kateybash
10 months ago

Hemm, but if my eye sight is ok how does this measure ms? Sorry

stumbler
10 months ago

kateybash
10 months ago

Thanks stumbler, very much appreciated x

kateybash
10 months ago

Thanks stumbler, amazing, very much appreciated x

potter
10 months ago

My eye sight is fine and still seems that way but when I took that test they could tell that something wasn’t quite right and showed me on the screen where some part of my optic nerve wasn’t functioning quite right. It had kind of the same results I had at a eye doctors appointment where you don’t let your eye follow the light. The technician at the eye doctors yelled at me for letting my eye follow the light, my husband was also getting his eyes checked. He heard the yelling and asked me what was going on. I told him and he said maybe she was having a bad day. If someone had been paying attention I might have been diagnosed with MS years before I was. I kept asking to be tested for years and doctors just brushed me off. Just hope you pass the test after I had my MRI the doctor said I had a lesion just barely touching my optic nerve. I started a DMT immediately, I didn’t want to have any vision problems. I am a artist and I am not sure what I would do if I lost my sight. Potter

vasy
10 months ago

Hi @kateybash

visual evoked potentials work by recording electrical activity of your brain from electrodes applied to your scalp skin.
They will show you changing pictures on an LCD display and record how quickly information is propagated through your optical nerves to the electrodes — so called latency.
If the latency is greater than 103-105 ms (103/1000 of a second), then there is a evidence of MS lesion affecting your visual pathway
It could be unnoticeable for you though, yet this is very sensitive method to detect damage in the very early phase

kateybash
10 months ago

Potter, you sound like you had a tough time! Thanks for your insight, really interesting. Vasy, also really appreciate your knowledge… would anyone know if a diagnosis would be given for lesions on a brain MRI and a positive visual potential test or , would a positive LP be necessary or is it all about further MRI’s for a diagnosis of ms? Oh so many questions from me. Thanks for being patient 🙂

stumbler
10 months ago

@kateybash , here’s some details about diagnosing MS and the tests involved :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/diagnosis

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

Basically you sit infront of a screen 📺 looking like something out of a sci-fi film with wires stuck to your bonce while someone tries to have a indepth conversation with you about multiple sclerosises while you giggle your tits off because you look a reet nob. And the technician tries to keep a straight face. That’s how mine went anyway just watch Square things on a screen for half an hour nowt to it lass

lilbird
10 months ago

You make it sound like a right laugh @doubleo7hud I’m disappointed I haven’t had 1 now 😄

kateybash
10 months ago

Double7hud…. I am getting the message!, should have sent you a pm for that info, I’m certainly not as nervous now. Will post pictures later , haha

doubleo7hud
10 months ago

He he good lass nowt to worry about promice thee that, lumber puncture is no worries too, they numb your back first with some reet posh back numbing drugs first, hardly feel a thing, just stay as still as possible. My legs kept twitching and a Handy tip from personal experience go for a pee before you start 😂 Not mid procedure and get rid of excess apple tarts (farts) before hand. Oh yeah and get coka colA for AFTER the caffeine helps keep headache at bay. I drank nearly a full litre bottle before thinking I was clever I was pisstaken (shite pun intended). I never got pictures I forgot completely to busy acting the goat.

potter
10 months ago

All of my tests were scheduled at the same time, I flunked all of them. I had two aunts with MS so my neuro wanted to run the tests immediately. Potter

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.