Last reply 3 months ago
Virus pre Lemtrada

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can give any helpful thoughts. I’ve had a mild cold for a few weeks, then a few days ago this has turned into swollen glands, sore throat, spinning head etc. I was sweating the other day and ms symptoms exacerbated so pretty sure I had a temperature. Past two days I’ve had no temperature, but still sore throat, spinning head and feel rough.

So probably a virus – issue is that I’m due to start Lemtrada round one on Monday (36 hours to go) I emailed the ms nurses yesterday who told me that as long as I haven’t got a temperature, then the doctors will assess me and might still start my treatment.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? My understanding was that if I already have a virus then Lemtrada will wipe out my lymphocytes and make me worse.

Has anyone had Lemtrada when they already had a virus, sore throats etc?

I don’t want to postpone my treatment unnecessarily, but I also want to play safe.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

milli
3 months ago

@faultymike hello and hope all is well with you. I’m on the same situation at the moment , supposed to star my Lemtrada treatment this coming Monday but have sore throat, hence searching on ideas here on shift ms. Although your information was from 10 months ago, may I ask if you managed to have the treatment when you had your cold/sore throat? I have no temperature yet only swollen glands!

Any info will help.
Thank you and hope you’re doing well.

faultymike
3 months ago

Hi Millie

No problem. I was in a similar situation. Two days prior to starting lemtrada I felt awful. I had swollen glands AND a temperature. By the Monday I was definitely improving, no further temperature spikes but I still had swollen glands and felt a bit rough.

They decided to go ahead with lemtrada and all was fine. I had treatment effects as expected but from a virus perspective I was fine.

I imagine that as long as you don’t spike a temperature and are improving they’ll still go ahead. Each hospital and even consultant is different. Where are you having your treatment?

I took my iPad and headphones – had a chilled out week being served 3 meals a day and buying bits online. Plus I watched some netflix – a light hearted tv series – lol it was like being on holiday but sadly without the sun!!

I’m due for round 2 in 7 weeks. Can’t believe how quickly the year has passed.

I hope all goes well for you. Drop me a message if you have any queries.

milli
3 months ago

@faultymike, thank you so much for your kind reply and advice. It’s quite positive and uplifting. Really appreciate all your information.

No temps but still swollen glands so hopefully it will clear by Monday !!!! Lots of vitamin C for me for now! I’m going to Poole hospital.

Wishing you all the best and great results with your second year treatment. God willing it will be as wonderful as the first year treatment. Yep like a holiday but without the sun ;0)

All the best and thank you again.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.