Last reply 12 months ago
Urinary Retention

Hello everyone. I have a question that I hope I can get answers to. I’m 28, was diagnosed with Relapsing remitting MS October 2015. My main symptoms are he MS hug on my upper right side and urinary retention. I am currently taking Ocybutinin for urunary retention, 5mg 3x a day. My question is wether there are any long term effects of taking this medication. I find that if I don’t take it it makes it a lot difficult to go pee. Would it be wise to try other options? I’m the long run will this affect me? Thanks for the help in advance.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@velvet2623 , I’m not aware of any long term issues with Oxybutinin . However, there are a range of medications available to relax your bladder, so you may wish to discuss this with your MS team/Continency support.

There is a non medical resolution to urinary retention, Intermittent Self-Catheterisation (ISC). This might sound awful, but the benefits are enormous. This may be worth discussing too.

velvet2623
1 year ago

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. ISE sounds a little scary but a conversation I’d be open to have. Thanks again!

cherish
1 year ago

@velvet2623

Good morning to you.

I was never offered meds for my retention.
And I feel your fear of ISC.
I was exactly the same on here 2 yrs ago when my crn kept coming at me with them.
How on earth could I put that “thing” in such a “tiny hole”. 😂
It made me feel physically sick.
Then one day, I put my biggest of big girl pants on and tried it.
First few months was horrid, wash hands, catheter, wash hands, bag isc up and bin.

Now I don’t even think about it.
I’m super pro, can do it in the dark unlike the poor guys. 😂😂 Pro Pisser 😂😂

I only ever had one infection when I began isc but very plain sailing since.
Now these wee green catheters are my life.
I don’t want to go back to 2 dribbles and a fart every 20 mins.

Not for everyone I guess but it certainly has made life so much easier.

All the best to you.
Lisa xx

cameron
1 year ago

I’ve read that oxybutinin can have cognitive effects and that there are newer meds which are better. Having said that, I was prescribed Vesicare and it didn’t work.

bok2bjan
1 year ago

Hi @velvet2623 – it’s a tough situation for sure! I was dx with Interstitial Cystitis in the 90s, and had to instill medication via catheter daily. I became quite the pro! Then it suddenly became painful to cath – not sure why. Then last month I was sitting on the toilet wondering what the heck to do – I got out one of those catheters and stared at it for a long time. Something I’d done so frequently, was now a terrible prospect. I ended up able to pee – but it’s not going to be that way for long I’m afraid. I’m personally in favor of the catheters over the chemicals. But that’s just me. It’s a quick easy solution. I wish you the best!

strictlysoca
1 year ago

Hi I’m in the can’t Pee club side of continence and have to self cath (ISC) and it’s pretty easy. Basically if you can put a tampon in (i.e hands / balance) then you’ll be good to go after wine in no time. I’m all for drug therapies if they are working but it is a low tech intervention. My top tip – try standing up if you can – much easier and not likely to drop it in the toilet.

Ps I got a bit down about it as it is an annoyance but like @cherish Big girl pants to the ready and all is well now

velvet2623
12 months ago

I appreciate the responses, will definitely be talking to my doctor about ISC, maybe a different medicine may help. Again, thanks a lot

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.