missytiggy 17/09/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Unpaid leave for appointments?

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help me with a quick question.. I’m recently diagnosed and until now work have not deducted any pay from me when I have attended neuro / nurse appointments. They have now asked me to take future appointments as unpaid leave (this seems to be across everyone) and I’m wondering if this is ok?

Does anyone know what the law says about taking time off for appintments? I rang the MS society and they gave me a number for their solicitor but this seems a bit extreme for a simple enquiry.

Thanks everyone 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

@missytiggy , if your employers have been formally notified of your diagnosis then you are afforded some protection under the Equalities Act 2010.

But, how this applies to your question is best answered by a legal person, who can interpret this legal documentation. SO, a quick call to the suggested solicitor isn’t really going “over-the-top”!

Other avenues available to you would be your union (if you are a member) or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

This publication (http://www.mstrust.org.uk/shop/product.jsp?prodid=246) does give some advice, but not to the detail that you require.

3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler, yes I am a member of a union – good idea. Work have been notified of my diagnosis and I have seen an occupational health doctor on behalf of the company I work for.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.