Last reply 1 year ago
Unable to understand others' speech.

Hi all

I’ve posted this on another site but wondered what people can contribute here. (Thanks)

Had a new (to me) symptom some time ago which was weird and wondered if others had come across it.

I was having a difficult (and hence very stressful) discussion with a friend (now former friend) re my MS and some of my resultant behaviours. As she was telling me some “home truths” I found I could no longer understand what she was saying. Her speech sounded just like a low-pitched hum. I could not pick out individual words or meaning. It happened a couple of times and obviously didn’t help our attempt at resolving our difficulties / differences.

Has anyone else experienced this weird symptom? I suffer from dysphasia which affects MY speech but haven’t experienced not being able to pick out words in others’ speech.

Haven’t experienced this since so guess it was the high stress situation which caused it?

Thanks for your time.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

naomih
1 year ago

I lose track of conversations, struggle with sentences and sometimes type completely different words to the ones im thinking of. my stupid doesn’t behave itself, especially when I am tired. ☹

lemtrada-uk
1 year ago

Hello. This happens to me quite frequently, particularly when I am feeling tired. I have dysarthria which has affected my speech. I’m assuming that speech is linked to our ability to make out words. I’m having speech therapy and thankfully my speech is improving. I just hope that my ability to comprehend improves

banksider
1 year ago

Thanks naomih and lemtrada-uk, glad to know it’s not just me with these annoying issues.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.