Last reply 2 weeks ago
Tube/public transport tips?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for travelling on public transport during rush hour? I travel to London once a week for work, and I am really struggling with using the tube, and I have no choice but to use it at peak time. When I’m fatigued, in pain, wobbly and uncoordinated it’s a real nightmare. I don’t use a stick, so don’t feel “disabled enough” to ask for a seat (and good luck with that anyway – my partner was on crutches in London and no one would give one up!). If I stand somewhere I can hold onto a pole securely, I get glared at for not moving down the carriage when it’s busy. I have similar issues on busy busses here in Leeds as well, but I’m rarely doing that during a 13 hour day like London!

Does anyone have anything that makes travel struggles a little easier? Sometimes I wish this wasn’t so invisible 🙁

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@kimberlina , I don’t envy you having to manage the urban warfare that is travelling by tube in the rush hour. I did it for over 10 years………….in a previous life. 😉

It is the most impersonal method of transport that I know. So, how do you communicate your need in this type of environment? Well, you don’t get any bonus points for being shy. You have to be brash and demand that you need a seat.

The following may help:-

1. A small credit card sized card that says you have MS and need a seat (amongst other options of assistance!).

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/care-and-support/resources-and-publications/publications-search/i-need-some-help-card

2. The Transport for London (TfL) website accessibility page. The “Please offer me a seat” badge seems a good option.

https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/

But, you are going to have to be very direct and potentially shame someone to give up their seat, especially if it’s a seat reserved for the “lesser abled”.

dominics
2 weeks ago

I second everything @stumbler says. I also think it may help you if you just didn’t care what others thought. If someone takes issue and challenges you, I am sure the “I have MS, I need this pole/seat etc” answer will suffice.

You gotta look out for yourself on the Tube. It all seems a bit ‘dog eat dog’ there. I used to use it daily. Thankfully, I no longer have to do a regular commute to London. I commiserate with you.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.