Last reply 9 months ago
Trouble sleeping

Does anyone experience insomnia or fall asleep & wake up during the night? I most nights struggle to get a full nights sleep. I would normally fall asleep fine, but then I’d wake up around 3/4ish. I know sometimes I’d eat sweet stuff in the evening & thought that could be why but when I don’t have a treat,I’m still waking up. Is this MS related? As I do switch off & try not to think about things. Thank you 😊

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

edmontonalberta
9 months ago

Leticia

Congratulations on your son. Are you sure it is not the one year old that is getting you up at 3 in the morning? LOL

And yes, MS affects sleep habits. I usually get up in the middle of the night; bladder control is one of the challenges. I usually go back to bed but sometimes get on the computer for an hour…

tish22
9 months ago

Aww thank you 😊 Haha well he’s a pretty good sleeper only thing is he would make little noises as if he was having a bad dream or when his dummy comes out. But I’m usually awake & he’s fast asleep. Hope you’re we’ll thank you for the reply oh & I’m still awake lol 😑

stumbler
9 months ago

@tish22 , there’s a lot of information about these sleep problems here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/sleep

cameron
9 months ago

I’m on amitriptyline (2 tabs at night, 1 in the morning) for nerve pain and low mood, as it conveniently deals with both. Even more conveniently, it acts as a sleeping pill but without the side effects. I’m yawning 20 mins after I’ve taken my 2 tabs. Worth an ask?

nutshell88
9 months ago

Main cause of my insomnia is a childish reason 😑 iphone addiction.

ant1975
9 months ago

@ tish22 I am on Pregablin and amitriptyline and they help me loads . Good luck . I hope you find your answers for a good nights sleep 😀

ant1975
9 months ago

@tish22 I am on Pregablin and amitriptyline and they really help me get a good nights sleep . Good luck I. I hope you find your answer for a good nights sleep x

noelie
9 months ago

@tish22 sleep deprivation is torture but they are some benefits to it which I try to remember every day http://stolensleep.com/2015/11/30/10-amazing-benefits-to-being-a-sleep-deprived-parent/

On a more serious note, if you can meditate 10 min a day, the worrying lessens and the sleep improve.
Here are the videos that I think are worth watching.

First talks about the link between mindfulness and resilience to stress

Second, a tedtalk by the creator of the Headspace app.

All it takes is 10 mindful minutes

I hope you had a good night

From a mum to a 3 year old who hasn’t fully grasp the concept of sleep yet. X

tish22
9 months ago

@stumbler thank you very much have read it through. Will try some of the things listed. 😊

tish22
9 months ago

@cameron thank you for your reply. Well my mum had some amitripline left over & gave me some i took one the other night didn’t do much as I still woke up. Took 2 last night & I slept better. I know it’s not wise taking meds that haven’t been prescribed. 😊

tish22
9 months ago

@ant1975 thank you for your reply. What dose of pregablin are you taking? Reason why I ask is because my mum has been prescribed that. & are you taking it for pain? 😊

tish22
9 months ago

@noelie Thank you for your reply. Will give it a watch & read the information. Bless you. 😊

potter
9 months ago

Once I had my son I didn’t think I was ever going to sleep again, I was right. When he was a newborn I could hear him breathing, When he was 18 months old he developed asthma and the doctor had him sleep between us so we could set him up when he started coughing. He thought he was to young for medication. I also wake up during the night, I go to the bathroom by dim lighting and then go back to bed. I clear my head and listen to my sound machine and fall back to sleep. Potter

ant1975
9 months ago

@tish22 I am 200mg daily . Take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night . I used to get pins and needles in my leg so I was prescribed Pregablin for that . Works a treat on the pins and needles and also helps me get a good nights sleep x

jewelz
9 months ago

Yes I to have trouble falling asleep!! I have to fall asleep watching Tv in my recliner!!!

tish22
9 months ago

@potter aww bless you. Hope You’re having better nights sleep now. & your son is managing living with asthma.

tish22
9 months ago

@ant1975 oh that’s interesting I have pins & needles in my hands and feet. The nurse mentioned gabapentin but haven’t been prescribed it as of yet. I also see your on Tecfidera. I’m starting that soon. Did you experience any side effects?

ant1975
9 months ago

@tiah22 Hi Tish . Tecfidera has been great for me . Only side effect I have had is the occasional hot flush . But a little tip for you if you take an aspirin before the Tecfidera then this usually prevents the flushes . And also take your Tecfidera about 3 quarters of the way through a meal and this also helps . I have been taking it for 2 years now and no relapse since taking it . I hope it works for you to ! X

ant1975
9 months ago

@tish22 Hi Tish . Tecfidera has been great for me . Only side effect I have had is the occasional hot flush . But a little tip for you if you take an aspirin before the Tecfidera then this usually prevents the flushes . And also take your Tecfidera about 3 quarters of the way through a meal and this also helps . I have been taking it for 2 years now and no relapse since taking it . I hope it works for you to ! X

potter
9 months ago

Tish I have been on Tecfidera for 4 years, make sure you take your pill in the middle of a meal. If I forget I will have a piece of bread and butter that usually takes care of any stomach upset. I never had flushing but I did have the upset stomach and diarrhea. Everyone has different issues during the time when your body is adjusting to it. I found that eating beans caused the diarrhea, I love beans but I had to cut them out of my diet for a awhile. I have worked them back in but can only have a small amount. So just pay attention to your body and how different food affects you. Potter

tish22
9 months ago

Thank you @ant1972 & @potter
Will do that. Very good that you haven’t had a relapse. 😊

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.