Last reply 1 month ago
Travel advice

Hi 👋
I’m traveling for the first time since diagnosis and being on tysabri. Tysabri is obviously an immune suppressant so was wondering if anyone wears masks? Epsscially for plane journeys.

Thankyou

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

gijs
1 month ago

Nope, I don’t. Is there a documented benefit of actually using one while immunosuppressed?

jade770
1 month ago

The masks depending on the material can minimise the bacteria that you breath in , being immune compromised I suppose that’s never a bad thing

z900
1 month ago

Hi, I am on Gilenya, also an immune suppressant and I fly every 2 weeks from Ireland to the UK for the last year since going on it, without any problems. I would suggest you just take your normal precautions.
Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

jade770
1 month ago

@z900 thankyou

californiadreamin
1 month ago

@jade770 hopefully you have read some of the latest that shows increasing the dosing time by just a few days substantially improves your risk of pml etc with tysabri. I can post the article for you if you haven’t but maybe that’s worth considering to improve your immune responsiveness.

stumbler
1 month ago

@jade770 , bacterial hand gel may be a better solution……..

jade770
1 month ago

@californiadreamin i don’t think I I’ve seen it , I’d be really grateful if you can send it to me. I’m not sure if I can change the dosing but I can definitely ask my Ms nurse about it . Thankyou

jade770
1 month ago

@stumbler trust me I’m taking that with me by the bucket load 😉

californiadreamin
1 month ago

londonlad
1 month ago

Hey @jade770

I always worried about the whole taking Tysabri and immune system etc. And I still take precautions to avoid getting sick. I think washing hands almost obsessively is key. lol I swear I’m not OCD, but I do wish my hands a lot, just to avoid anything and touch wood, I haven’t even had a cold for coming up to 18 months. I do take vitamin c everyday, even though I eat a lot of fruit and eat pretty healthy.

Anyway, I digressed. What I’ve been told about Tysabri, is that due to the fact it’s a targeted treatment. Our immune systems are not overly compromised compared to some other treatments.

The testament works by binding to certain types of cells, and prevents them getting into the brain. Basically it stops our immune system getting to the brain, and attacking it!

So what I’ve been led to believe is that we are not immune compromised in the same way that we may have originally thought.

So take precautions, but don’t worry too much, and concentrate on the trip!!! Business or pleasure?

And funk it, if you are worried, wear a mask. Don’t worry what other people think. Life’s too short to do that.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.