pebbles19 30/04/12
Last reply 2 years ago
Travel

Hi All, I am newly diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS. Decided I am not going to let this stop plans for traveling that I have always wanted to do. Planning on going to South America towards the end of the year but there seems to be some controversy about travel vaccinations and MS. Looking for some advice on whether I should get them, especially yellow fever as it seems to be a requirement to get into some countries in SA and controversial as to whether people with MS should get the vaccine. Appreciate any advice, especially if anyone has been to SA and the obstacles they faced in getting there!!!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rosieella
6 years ago

I’m so glad you wrote this! i am also planning to go SA sometime in Dec and hadn’t even considered this!! hope someone can help!I’m gong to look into it, whoops!

gpeps
6 years ago

Hello, I have just returned from South America and had very similar concerns before I left. I did a load of research, asked too many people probably, but settled with my neuros advice that I was best to have the Yellow Fever vaccine, ideally with enough time after the jab for you to recover if you have any side effects before you leave on your adventure. I had the jab, and althoug I was warned of fever like symptoms about a week later, I was fine. Although I have just come back from travelling, I am jealous that you have it all to come! You’ll love it.

Please get in touch with any questions.

gordon91
6 years ago

Great article on your travels George and the site is really good! I’ve sent some questions to the contact address about traveling on Tysabri would be great if you get the chance to reply.

mostlysuperfluous
6 years ago

I was diagnosed with MS last april, age 22, and moved out to japan to teach english in elementary schools in july. I have been here ever since and i am now in asahikawa, northern japan, guiding my parents about. A bit daunting, yes, but i have had the time of my life out here. Unfortunately, we can’t just leave the ms in the airport so it is always an issue but i would say that pushing yourself to go to SA will not only be an unforgettable experience, it’ll help you in understanding your ms, what you can and can’t do, what helps, what to avoid, and makes you better able to handle ms when you return home. Sorry i can’t be of more specific help about SA but i wish you the best of luck.

pebbles19
6 years ago

Thanks for the responses and words of encouragment. Very daunting planning a trip not to mention taking into account MS as well! My MS nurse today advised me that due to the number of places I am considering travelling to in SA (Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Uraguay)that taking the risks of not getting the vaccine outweigh the risks involved in getting the vaccination. There is a possibility that I could have a relapse but I guess better to have a relapse at home before I head off on my travels than when I’m away or worse still contract yellow fever!!!!!!

Thought MS wasnt suppose to stop me doing things in my life! Decisions, decisions….

tiggermum
2 years ago

So glad to read these posts. I too am thinking of travelling next year – possible Sri Lanka, but the vaccination thing has slowed us down from making the decisions. I will speak to my neuro and see what they say, but as @pebbles19 says, the best place to have any relapse is at home and not let anything spoil a trip away. Thanks everyone for raising this. 🙂

Anonymous
2 years ago

I cant comment on Yellowfever but I had a load of vaccinations when I went to Morocco earlier this year. It was not long after I’d had lemtrada and the nurse said it was fine providing no live vaccine was used.

I think its best to have them, not only for health reasons but for travel insurance purposes too.

Good luck with your trip, I’m quite envious. There is someone on here who travels a lot with a blog about her adventures. I cant think of her username right now but here’s her blog: https://wordpress.com/read/blog/feed/21509996

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.