Last reply 1 month ago
Teeth

Hello everyone;just a small query.Did anyone lose any of their teeth,for no obvious reason.during their run up to MS diagnosis or beyond? I had 5 teeth suddenly become loose and had to be extracted,to which my dentist offered the explanation that the nerves beneath said teeth had died.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@george2sticks , I’m not sure I follow the logic of your dentist, but, I’m not a dentist or medical.

But, the following article does go into the realms of “dead teeth” and dead teeth fall out!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319062.php

MS doesn’t cause nerve endings to die. It may just affect their communication to the brain. And, it wouldn’t be a sudden looseness, the tooth would begin to die. Something the dentist should have spotted.

So, that’s just my thoughts and, like I say, I’m not a dentist or medical……….

george2sticks
1 month ago

Thank you Stumbler.

peterfrancis
1 month ago

I’ve never heard of MS sufferers losing Teeth either, what Stumbler says makes sense though.

The only damage I’ve experienced regarding Teeth was a time pre diagnosis, where I tripped and fell over face first in to the Pavement. I did not lose any Teeth but did chip one and cause some to move out of place a little….. Eeeek, what a day that was.

vixen
1 month ago

Hi there @george2sticks. Even it the nerve dies, a foot filling/root canal will remedy this. I mean, over time, if there was a dietary change which affected the guns and teeth, then this might loosen teeth. But no, haven’t heard any connection made between ms and tooth loss…..

nutshell88
1 month ago

My tooth shrank in young age
Its like childs tooth
It used to be shiny and way bigger before MS

And my uppser gum is geiing smaller too making my jaw goes tighter
It might be illution
But im sure many mouth problems are rdlated to MS

george2sticks
1 month ago

Thank you all for your replies.

grandma
1 month ago

Did you have any cancer treatment about the same time? I only ask because I had cancer 8 years ago (I’ve had ms for 26 years) and was told to get a tooth x-ray right at the start because chemo destroys keratin, (teeth and nails) and you need a before and after picture to see if there had been degradation because of the chemo,😍

grandma
1 month ago

PS George, only just down the road in SoT😍

george2sticks
1 month ago

Hello Grandma;no,luckily I have not succumbed to any cancers so far,so it remains a mystery as to my teeth loss. Excuse my ignorance as to your whereabouts,but where is SoT?

guinness
1 month ago

SoT – is Stoke on Trent.

peterfrancis
1 month ago

@george2sticks

Stoke on Trent is in Staffordshire.

guinness
1 month ago

correct

guinness
1 month ago

34 miles from shrewsbury

george2sticks
1 month ago

Ok,thank you Peter and Guinness.Shrewsbury is my nearest large town to where I am in mid Wales.

arbee
1 month ago

I’ve had nothing but trouble with my teeth in the years leading up to/after my diagnosis, the worst of which was during a relapse when I had an abscess and it spread into my ear giving me vertigo, I could hardly stand up and thought it was the relapse but in hindsight I just think it was the tooth trouble.

I’ve had 5 extractions in recent years, I always thought it was hereditary because there is history of it in my family, I had two wisdom teeth trying to grow in the same socket which both my sister and Grandad had so I’ve never made the connection with MS before but I’d also be interested to see if anyone else has had similar problems, I do have to visit the dentist every couple of months to be patched up

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.