Last reply 6 months ago
Tecfidera-Free of charge in the UK?

Hi all,

My sister was diagnosed with MS 2 yrs ago overseas where she gets Tecfidera free of charge. She only told me she is an MSer after I insisted she to move over in the UK as she’s on her own there.
Do MSers get the medication free of charge here?
I am trying to get as more info as possible about the MS and how it’s being dealt with by the NHS here as I really want her to move over more now than she suffers with MS.

Thank you all

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
7 months ago

@maddiet , Tecfidera is provided by the NHS.

I would contact the MS Society Helpline (0808 800 8000), to discuss the finer points of her move.

tootes
7 months ago

Depends which country you are in, so in Scotland my Neurologist just asked me to choose which drug I wanted and I have the added bonus that it is delivered to my home once a month, all at no cost. Just my diagnosis of RRMS was enough. You get MS meds free in England, Wales and NI, however the funding mechanisms or criteria can vary so check with the MS Society or MS Trust and they will be able to clarify each country for you.

strictlysoca
7 months ago

She may need to prove that it is a permanent move. The “ordinarily residence” rule will apply to access to the NHS. I am assuming that she is a British or EEA National.

If she is well at the moment and getting disease modifying treatment then why the move? Just asking

maddiet
7 months ago

Thank you all for your help and advice!

xcaz89x
6 months ago

Tecfidera is supplied free of charge in the UK.

I am however looking to move to spain, gibralter side more so than rural spain.
Where abouts overseas does your sister get Tecfidera for free? Because thats my biggest concern, the costs of it all when we move.

nutshell88
6 months ago

I am not sure about the now. but few years ago they gave me it without me asking for it I am from Saudi Arabia.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.