kiki85 27/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Tecfidera & combined contraceptive pill

Hello,
I’ve been on the pill (Yasmin) for ten years and started taking Tecfidera four weeks ago for relapsing remitting MS. Does anyone know if Tecfidera effects the pill? My neurologist knows that I’m on the pill and didn’t mention it when she recommended I start taking Tecfidera. I appreciate that this is something that I should have checked earlier but I’m still trying to get my head around everything (I was only recently diagnosed).
Thanks xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

I’ve got this from the European Medicines Agency (http://ec.europa.eu/health/documents/community-register/2014/20140130125880/anx_125880_en.pdf) :-

“In vitro CYP induction studies did not demonstrate an interaction between Tecfidera and oral contraceptives. In vivo interaction studies have not been performed with oral contraceptives. Even though an interaction is not expected, non-hormonal contraceptive measures should be considered with Tecfidera (see section 4.6).”

Yasmin contains the hormones, rospirenone and ethinyl estradiol so you really need some professional advice from your GP, Neuro or MS Nurse, as the effectiveness of this contraceptive pill.

PS. I bet you didn’t expect an answer from a guy! lol 😆

everycloud
3 years ago

I’m on Tecfidera and have never been warned of any interactions with contraception. I have an implant though, so that may be why. (The implant is great by the way!)

melissa-g
3 years ago

I’m also on both tec and the pill with no issue, in fact my neurologist said it was best to be on it while taking the tec to ensure there’s no chance of pregnancy

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.