Last reply 1 year ago
Tecfidera

Hi All,
I am planning to switch from copaxone to Tecfidera in 2 weeks. I have read of the stomach issues involved and was wondering from those who have taken it, if you suggest I take a few days off from work to adjust? I was planning on starting it on a weekend but wondering if it was an awful idea to try and go in the following Monday? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

dom1975
1 year ago

Hi, when I started Tecfidera I took the first week off work to be safe. Looking back I didn’t really need to but if you’re unsure its probably not a bad idea. I also told my employer as I work shifts they allowed me to do a normal day shift pattern for a couple of months. Good luck

I posted some of our recent experience here for another thread:

change of medication tecfidera too????

My advice to you would be several fold.

1) Be prepared for various different types of situations by doing some research from online articles because its some of the only places to get some real practical information. The dr’s know the stats and the details but have little guidance on situations like “should i use my vacation days”

2) Dont assume things are going to go predictably with this medication. Maybe it will go fine or badly, but its worth trying some things out.

3) In terms of time off, it could be that the 2nd week or the 3rd week is when you will really need to take the time off. I think its important to take the tec as closed to 12 hours apart as possible. It is likely your symptoms could be during the first hour or so after the medication (though ours were not). For my wife, she was in extreme pain sometimes but ok at others. do you have an option of working remotely a bit? She was functional for most of the day and was able to phone calls and meetings from home. If I was in your situation, I would not take the time off and take it day by day. People do just get sick and be ready to call in sick if needed.

So I would assume that you are going to be ok and live life normally but a little more conservative then normal. Be prepared and ready. Have some of the normal symptom medication on hand. Some things like probotics, low dose aspirin might be worth taking proactively since there seems little downside. I would actually start that even before the tec so you know you are good with those.

Hope that helps and feel free to post back if you have more questions. Happy to share our experiences.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.