liina 12/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Survey – Tecfidera and JCV positive

Is anyone here JCV positive and taking Tecfidera? While I am JCV positive my white blood cell count is in the average range. I am still worried about being at a higher risk of developing PML since ive read that PML is *directly cause* by the JC virus. And taking tecfidera can lower your white blood cell count, leaving you helpless to fight against JCV.

Anyone here taking Tecfidera while JCV positive and having positive results? Any additional information is extremely appreciated. I am struggling to try to pick a medicine to start. Thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

@liina , all DMDs come with a risk, so we have to put our trust in our Neurologist to ensure that we are monitored to mitigate these known risks. 😉

3 years ago

Hi @liina

I started taking Tefidera about 6 weeks ago and found out I was JC positive three weeks ago. I don’t know too much about PML but know that there is an associated risk with taking the medication. But there is risks with lots of other medications.

I will have my bloods monitored every three months and guess that its a wait and see what happens situation.

I have to say, since starting Tecfidera, I have noticed improvements in my mobility and also my general well being. In fact I am feeling the best I have felt for about two years.

I have suffered from very little to nil side effects while being on Tecfidera. I flushed about three times and suffered from a week of bloating which soon passed.

I had a choice between Copaxone, Aubagio and Tecfidera. I think I chose the best option for me.

All the best with your choice.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.