Last reply 4 years ago
Support for MSers

Hi all, I have a friend with MS. She has worked full time for several years since diagnosis, more recently with an assistant through the Access to Work scheme, but the illness has now progressed to the extent that she is going to stop working. There is still so much that she can and wants to do – eg she already volunteers for a charity and has a busy social life – but there are more and more things that she needs help with. She has a care package via an agency which helps her to get ready in the mornings and evenings, but could do with support for the day time to help her with getting out of the house and to help her to use her computer. I’d love to help her to recruit a private carer/PA who could help her with this. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice to offer? Thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

4 years ago

Hi @kolyor . it’s really good of you to join our forum on behalf of your friend.

I would say the the majority of our membership are MSers, people with MS, with a small proportion being carers for someone with MS.

I mention this, as it may be a difficult issue to obtain a response about.

I should imagine that you’ve already been to the MS society’s website and looked at pages like this:- .

It may also be useful if you contact their helpline on 0808 800 8000 to discuss specific issues. They may be better placed to answer some of your questions. 😉

4 years ago

She could ask her GP to contact Social Services who would assess needs and perhaps get her a Care Manager.

4 years ago

Does your friend live in the UK? If so,then she most certainly can employ a PA to do those things you were talking about.
ALL social services have cut down drastically so it may be difficult to get the funds, but not impossible. If friend can self fund then thats the way to go.
Have a work with social services. They or a voluntary agency should be able to advise
this is one
they can advise on the process.
Its important to have a contract for both sides and a payroll provider for taxes and such.
There’s a lot more flexibility with a PA. Care agency will mainly do personal care and that’s it.
I advertised for PA on Gumtree, and
ALL FREE, its worth noting!

4 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Have tried the ms society, and will definitely try penderelstrust-looks loke they have good advice on employee management if you take the PA route. And I agree with Cameron that a reassessing of needs by social services would be useful. Anyone got any specific advice on dos and don’ts for the recruiting process of a PA from experience?

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.