Last reply 1 year ago
Steroids

Hey there folks! Have been hanging around this site for a bit now and reading lots of the threads. I am waiting for my diagnosis in the next couple of weeks but woke up today with my second bout of ON. The GP admitted it wasn’t her speciality but rang my neurologist. He said that steroids might reduce the duration of the ON and she went on to give me a really hectic list of side effects. Any thoughts on whether I should take them?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

nutshell88
1 year ago

Hi
My first symptom was in 2005 the neuro gave me steroids two weeks in the vien. And asked my to swallow 30 tablets for couple of weeks then reduce them bit by but and i got my eye back. I didnt know i have ma tho my parents didnt like ti make me worry starting from 2010 i got more doses of steroids but now im not allowed to bevause i had enough in the past.

I say go for it.

bri100
1 year ago

Thank you @nutshel88

Even though the common lore is that steriods dont reduce the eventual outcome, there is no data to really back that up and they may really improve the long term outcome. It is perfectly reasonable to assume bringing down inflamation faster will have a beneficial long term effect.

For something like ON its is worth taking the risk because most of the side effects are short term compared with the long term consequences of ON. Consider offseting some of the steriod risk through improvements to diet for things like bone density etc.

Assuming you dont take them regularly its probably worth the risk in my opinion.

nutshell88
1 year ago

@californiadreamin
In Saudi I was daignosed by syrian neuro in 2005. But an Australian Neuro Andrew Mcnabb he was here in Saudi in 2010 and I remember he said I’d like to do something to check if big amounts of steroids would leave you without symptoms in long term. He was giving me 1000mg ._. I was happy because I was gaining weight and feel well. Disnt know the side effects of steroids I wasnt well aware. But maybe its the reason why I never got any relapse since 2011 till today altho ive never been on dmt.
But maybe not.

nawal_ibrahim
1 year ago

Hey there,
I think you should Marybeth try it so long your willing. Steroids do help you get better at a faster rate.
I personally wouldn’t say it’s the greatest tasting thing ever but it doesn’t really have any cons from my experience.

Hope that somehow helped x

vixen
1 year ago

Hi there. I reluctantly took steroids when I had another autoimmune disease. The feeling of suddenly feeling well and energised really charged my batteries at the time and, even compared with the process of warning off (tablets) was worth it. My motto since dx with MS has become ‘whatever it takes to get you through’! All the best x

bowlocks
1 year ago

The Barts Blog is a reliable source of information and worth reading.

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2013/09/clinic-speak-how-good-are-steroids-for.html

bri100
1 year ago

Thank you for all your comments, I’m off to read the link 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.