nikitadawndelorey 09/01/17
Last reply 1 year ago
Starting rebif auto injections

Hi all, I’m starting rebif auto injections this week and I read lots about it hurt and skin irritation and stuff, I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice/helpful hints or good to say about it .. getting really nervous 🙁

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@nikitadawndelorey , don’t worry yourself unduly about this. It’s usual just to see horror stories on the basis that 99% of people who have a problem shout about it, but only 1% of those satisfied shout about it.

You should be accompanied by a nurse for the first shot, to ensure that you’re comfortable with the process.

Otherwise, hygiene and disciplined rotation of injection site are the important factors.

So, you’ll find that the thought of the injection is a lot worse than the injection itself.

nikitadawndelorey
1 year ago

@stumbler thank you for your imput, its scary i would say because its new.. hopefully it will become second nature before to long! I just read a lot about the injection site hurting afterwords and the medication having a burning feeling 🙁

potter
1 year ago

I was on Rebif for five years, the injection site hurt when the needle and medicine went in but the pain went away quickly. It wasn’t anything that I dreaded, I just wanted to get it over with and get about my life. The nurse gave me some anesthesia cream, you had to wear gloves to put it on. It really didn’t make that much of a difference, I have heard that some people put a ice pak on it before the injection, I didn’t try that. I had to quit Rebif because the fat in my arm wouldn’t take it anymore. Fortunately Tecfidera was on the market and covered by my insurance at that time. Potter

belis
1 year ago

I was for two and half year on Rebif, when i start was all these stories about marks and pain and and. At the end when i start to do the injections, ok not a big deal. Just follow the instructions, change every time the places of the injections as the nurse will say and good luck. The most important is this medicine to help you with MS.

chloe-caton
1 year ago

I’ve been taking rebif for just over a year and it does smart a little but nothing to worry about! The auto injector can be set to different speeds by your nurse so you can find what’s most comfortable for you. I find that taking a deep breath and injecting on the exhale works well. I still have to take two ibuprofen when I inject as the flu like side effects are still very much a thing!

Good luck xx

nikitadawndelorey
1 year ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback, I’m starting it Saturday at lunchtime so here’s to hoping all will work out. A lot of people say it hurts from reviews I’ve read so that had me a little nervous 🙁 but it’s gotta be done reguardless

smassey83
1 year ago

I started taking ejections in July the worst part of it to me is the side effects flu-like symptoms. Try taking the ibuprofen 20 to 30 minutes before the injections to help with that. And use witch-hazel if you get any site injection. It helps me. Good luck.

alt258
1 year ago

I had a different experience with Rebif. I never had an injection site issue (no swelling at the site or bruising) and I didn’t get infections but I found the actual injections incredibly painful. I had to have my husband inject me because it got so bad that I would pull the injector out. I also had prolonged soreness and achiness in the extremity for about about a week or so. By the time it felt better it was usually time to use that site again.

That being said, I think my level of side effects are extremely unusual. I haven’t met anyone else who experienced the same discomfort I did. I’ve also read that manual injections can ease the pain significantly (as opposed to the auto injector) because you can ease the medication in at your own rate. So if you do end up having problems with pain you can try switching to an manual injection instead of the auto injector. Good luck.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.