4 years ago
So long!

Hi, so I had my first mri 2 weeks ago (head and spine) I haven’t heard anything from either my neuro, or gp. I hate this waiting around!! I keep questioning whether no news means no diagnosis, or if they are just counting up the things I have wrong. Ahh!

Anyone been through this? How long does it take to get answers from mri?

Also, been on gabapentin for 2 weeks at it has really calmed down my twitches, which is good!
Jx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

I don’t know but I’ve heard it can take weeks – I think because the person who does the MRI is not necessarily the person who analyses it. So ‘no result’ is most likely to mean ‘MRI waiting to be analysed’.

@jasminefairy, all the waiting can be very frustrating.
See if you can phone the Neuro’s secretary to see whether they have the results yet and ask what the next step is.
There’s no harm in asking.

Yeah that’s what I thought. I don’t want to sound like a nagging hypochondriac! What have I got to lose though.

Thanks 🙂

And most of all, don’t beat yourself up about it. It would take a ‘superhuman’ not to be anxious!

I thought you meant So long! As in “So long, fair-well, alvederzane, goodbye”*! I’m glad you aren’t leaving us! :)I was so lucky because my Dad is friends with a great neurologist so he saw me instantly and told me my results as soon as he got them. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know!

*Was quite hard choosing between this example and “So long, and thanks for all the fish!” 🙂

Hey – are you in the UK? If so I don’t think you need to worry at all about the wait. My first MRI came 6 weeks after I was told I needed one and my Neurologist apt to discuss results came a further 6 weeks after that.

I know it’s not easy, but you really need to relax and try not to think about it too much. Try and focus on other things, stressing won’t change the results and can only make your symptoms worse.

Good luck : )

Hi,
I can totally sympathise. I’m from Northern Ireland and the system seems particularly slow here! After waiting a couple of months for MRI results and being told they weren’t totally conclusive, I’d to wait for a lumbar puncture and then for the results. The whole process took forever and meanwhile imagination went into overdrive. For me personally, when I got the diagnosis, it was nearly relief that I could start doing something positive, start treatment and get my head around things instead of all the what ifs. The delay in getting results here is more to do with getting a space in neurology appointments. I ended up making a few private appointments to see the same neurologist – it is really unfair that I could see him the next day if I was willing to pay the private fee but had to wait 2 months otherwise. For my sanity though, I’d have paid anything!!
Good luck and don’t be hesitant in phoning the neurologist’s secretary, everyone else does it!

I too went private to speed up diagnosis. I was fortunate to have Private Healthcare as a benefit through my employer, so I made full use of it! The excess was £100 and was worth every penny to get the ball rolling so much quicker. If you have this option, or even have the money to go private if you don’t have this type of employee benefit, I’d totally recommend it. The private setting meant that I got to spend longer with the neuro than I have been able to at NHS appointments. I hope it’s not driving you too demented, but yes I agree with @cameron, you’d have to be superhuman to not be anxious. Diagnosis won’t change your symptoms however, but what it will do is open up treatment options to you. Something which I wish someone had told me – once you have a diagnosis, you’ll find it very hard to get life insurance! So if I had known that before diagnosis, I would have organised it. Big hugs to you, xx

I thought when i saw your post title that you were going to top your self 😮

So glad that is not the case 🙂

Haha! Thanks for all the positive messages. ‘So long’ was just an abbreviated form of ‘soooooooo loooooooonnnnggg’ ( said in a child like whining tone)

Glad you are all on the same page 🙂

phone the secretary 3 times a day. once first thing in the morning, around lunch time and again at the end of the day. be nice and polite ect- she’ll let you know the results as soon as they come in just to get rid of you haha!

2 weeks! what are you moaning about? seriously gal, 2 weeks in the NHS is NOTHING!!!!
I had MRI and a YEAR later the GP says, Actually you’ve got MS.
They like to “be sure”….so never fret, just gotta wait the wheels to turn, cogs to grind an all

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.