Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@emman84 , it doesn’t help with your feeling of self-esteem and self-worth.

It’s laudable that you want to get back to work, but you have to weigh up the benefits of feeling morally better against the MS damage that this may do to yourself.

It’s a fine balancing act to be sure.

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@emman84

Are you kidding me? MS with benefits until I turn 65 is much, much better than MS with no benefits. Plus – no stress, no traffic driving to / from work. No lunatic co-workers. 1/2 hour lunches without proper time to at a relaxing meal… Shall I go on?

Yes I get a wee bit bored at home but overall, life is much better than me having to go to work… πŸ˜‰

potter
2 months ago

Maybe you can do some volunteer work or start your own business and work from home. I am not sure what the rules are. After reading this forum for many years it seems like the MSers who do get benefits and don’t work are better off. They don’t seem to have as many relapses and don’t progress as fast. I think the ones that still work are stressed all of time, their stress starts when they wake up and ends hopefully when their head hits the pillow. Stressing about not being able to work is very bad for you. Teaching children or immigrants to read would be a less physically challenging for a volunteer’s job. Potter

grandma
2 months ago

[email protected], you’re lucky that you’re in this ‘day & age’ I was ‘let go’ 26 years ago when my employers found out it was ms. I tried to go back to work for a couple of years, even teamed up with my sister and we entered double applications for lots of jobs, my qualifications were better than hers, but I didn’t even get the interview if ms was mentioned, luckily the law has changed now but I have years doing voluntary work and because I have been able to choose what I do. They didn’t ‘chase’ me back to work, I think eventually the government realised that no-one was going to employ me willingly, their loss, I have lived on benefits ever since. I’m 62, 4 years to go until I get my pension when I will be a rich bitch because the pension is quite a lot more than unemployment benefit! The upshot of all this is, don’t worry, you are a VIP, don’t forget that. If you’ve been signed off, albeit temporarily, sit back and enjoy the rest, it won’t do your ms any harm. You can then look for something that’s right for you, hours, working conditions etc.,πŸ˜œπŸ€™πŸ˜

leogirl
2 months ago

@ emman84

Hi I am off work 4 years and I am on long term sick leave. I was very stressed about it in the beginning but now i’m not. I think it was because it was all new as I have worked full time since 1985. I agree with everyone else here. Your employer will survive without you and as an old GP said to me years ago when I got a cert for two weeks. Work won’t thank you for it, i.e going back when your not able. Look after yourself and enjoy having this time to yourself.
Ann Marie

calliems2002
2 months ago

I haven’t been on here for quite some time but I reconnected a couple of days ago. I have been struggling with the notion of not working and I finally accepted that I am not capable to continue a 60 plus workweek and family and MS. I cried and cried as it’s been something I love and a piece of me for20 years. I still contemplate the what it’s or today I think I could but in the end my balance now needs to be respect the disease and respect the quality of energy I give to nurture my soul. Answer: I can not work at this time and honestly nurture in a healthy way.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.