Last reply 2 months ago
Recovery from optical neurtis

Hi everyone.
Well I’m starting to feel human again. Although there is always a, but.
I went to the opticians yesterday to have my eyes tested after the flare up. And have been told I have a cataract in my right eye. Which is a bit of a problem, as that is my good eye. Anyway, the optician told me this is due to the amount of steriods I was on, during the optical neurtis flare. Which was 1000mg per day.
There is conflicting advise from the neurologist, whom say take steriods. And the MS clinic whom say steriods don’t work and take ibuprofen.
Think from now on ibuprofen.
They can never give a singular answer.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@andyturner , I’m not sure where your MS Clinic gets its information.

Steroids are prescribed to address relapses that are affecting your quality of life, e.g. visual or mobility. Steroids do not affect the outcome of the relapse, but they do help to make that outcome occur sooner.

The following is a link to the causes of cataracts :-

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/cataracts.htm#causes

You’ll notice that the “Prolonged use of corticosteroid medications” is quoted as being one cause. Steroids for MS are not prolonged use but a high dosage applied as a short and sharp treatment.

And, it is recommended that you have no more than three steroid treatments per annum, to avoid related problems.

The following article does discuss cataracts in connection with steroid use for MS :-

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/early-cataracts-vision-loss/

andyturner
2 months ago

The MS nurse at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary told me that. And he shortened my length of treatment, due to that. And the eye pavilion in Edinburgh also, mentioned the same.

stumbler
2 months ago

@andyturner , well, I have to bow to the greater medical wisdom of these guys. 😉

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.