Last reply 2 days ago
Ramps for access

Ever feel disabled discrimination? Some well wisher has dropped the nod to the Highways department that I have a black rubber ramp ( very heavy – made from recycled tyres) from pavement to road to enable my wheelchair access and as a result I have been given the option of 7 days to remove it or apply for a dropped kerb which I would have to pay for and they would have to approve. I cannot turn onto the very narrow pavement and if the ramp – marked each side with a white line, a painted disabled sign on it – should be removed then being a popular cul de sac for parking shoppers – it would probably be impossible to put it in place again. I am shocked that my only means of access to and from my home is even in question. Doubly so when the whole surface of the road is a hazard to wheelchair users and pedestrians alike. I live in an old market town with narrow streets and pavements. Sandwich boards, uneven paving. rain water gullies, holes in the road, dropped kerbs have to be negotiated. I wonder if any of you have experienced similar ‘discrimination’. Xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 days ago

@merfield , primarily, I would contact your local Councillor, the one you voted for in the local elections, and your MP.

You might find that the following makes interesting reading :-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/duty-to-make-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/

grandma
4 days ago

@merfield Just had a very long ramp put in my front drive by mr council, totally at their expense, and a through lift as well! Have had to sign papers to say I won’t be selling in the next 10 years. As I have lived here for 42 years, and have no intention of moving, in facet they are carrying me out of it in a box (minus the brain and stem cos that’s going to the ms society for research) Get in touch with your council, Occupational Therapy department, they should help all roads round and cost will depend on your financial situation. Good luck.😍

merfield
3 days ago

@stumbler, thanks so much for the link. It makes VERY interesting reading! If I have any more trouble from SCC I’ll forward the link to them! I need to get out to visit Bob who is now in a care home plus the normal reasons to get out. Hope alls as ok with you as possible. xx

merfield
3 days ago

@grandma, thanks so much for your reply and info about your ramp and lift! As if we don’t have enough to cope with having MS. I don’t want to leave here either but don’t have finances enough to have the live-in care I now need so sell up I must, in a year or so, or when almshouse accommodation becomes available. It’ll halve my costs. Brilliant idea to leave your brain for research…..👍🏻xx

grandma
3 days ago

If you have no money like me I’m the old asset rich can poor, then mr ouncil should pay for the lot. If you have no intention of moving, they will out a disabled bay on the road right in front of your house, the only problem is it’s not specific and therefore anyone with a blue badge can park in it. I’m sure you know this, I might be preaching to the converted! Anyway I’m 62,was married for 43 years before we parted company nearly 2 yrs ago, still good friends, he has the beginnings of Alzheimers so lives 800 yes round the corner in a warden controlled apartment, comes to walk the dogs (2 Airedales) every other day if his Asthma will allow it. Age is nothing, do you get arrence allowance?If so, and you have a spare room should have no trouble employing student/low paid worker who will basically work in exchange for the room. ‘Spareroom’ on the web are what I use. Very professional, always on the lookout for you as the landlord. They act as buffer when you first get enquiries, I.e. Emails are filtered by them, and you chose when you give the prospective lodger your home /mobile no, email and ultimately address. Worth looking into?😍

grandma
3 days ago

Sorry that’s attendee allowance. If you don’t get it, apply for it NOW

vixen
3 days ago

@merfield, it you don’t get any speedy response from your councillor/MP, call your local paper; they might be able to help….

merfield
3 days ago

@grandma, good suggestion to get a lodger but I’m 79 and way past wanting a stranger in the house and the bathroom upstairs is for sole use of the carer. I’ve had to get used to a carer as it is and my partner moving into care with Alzheimer’s. I do get the higher rate Attendance Allowance. My daughter spoke to Mr council – he said the disabled bay wouldn’t be near my house but a distance away and as you say, anyone with a blu badge could park there. I’m going to leave the ramp where it is and see what happens…..but thanks so much for your input. xx

@vixen, that’s an idea, or a tv contact I have…..ill try leaving the ramp in situ and see what happens next….xx

red-suzuki
2 days ago

Hiya Merfield….Stumblers article makes really, really interesting reading….I think the Ner-do-well who may have provoked the SCC to start all this is the dear I say busy body who you just happen to be the latest victim to attack….agree with all above, know its not strait forward for you, but as many people you can get involved with this farse the better, the TV, local papers, your MP…..why the hell have the Council decided too fire warning shots at you, when the roads etc around you are falling apart beggers belief. AS you say MS is bad enough to have to deal with, you shouldn’t have to fight to be able to get into or out of your own house…..Red xxx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.