loulou 25/06/12
Last reply 5 years ago
Quinine tablets for cramps and spasms

I am having an awful time of it at night with cramps in my calfs and spasms with legs going stiff when I get up in the night, Does anyone here take Quinine tablets?
I know someone (without MS) that does and they have worked miricles! Im going to ask Dr today
I take LDN and Baclofen, anyone take this combo ???

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

jman
5 years ago

Quinine is quite commonly prescribed for leg cramps, although my dad, after having it offered to him for his night cramps (no MS but bad circulation) read about the side effects!! l Found that exercise seemed to work a lot better and started going swimming. Some friends I know (kidney patients can also suffer from TERRIBLE) leg cramps, take tonic water (low dosage of quinine). The pain is excruciating. The other possibility might be dehydration, so maybe seeing if some fluids, bit of soup does the trick.. But as always, if in doubt consult with a med professional:)

tingly13
5 years ago

Try zanaflex, it stopped the same thing for me.

cameron
5 years ago

Quinine tablets worked for me. But I also take gin and tonic – just to keep it at bay!

loulou
5 years ago

Ha Ha! yes, We keep trying to give up the wine in favour of G&T! better on the waistline also!!!
I know I should drink lots of fluids but I find it so very hard, I feel sick if I do, I have to force it down! am really going to try hard today, I have doc call back Mon to ask her if I can take Quinine, footdrop and spacticity in the legs is the worst symptom for me, cheers all have a good day, at least the suns not shining yipeeeee!

cameron
5 years ago

Another thought – do you have an FES device for your leg? (Functional Electrical Stimulation)? I remember I got mine around the time I had a lot of leg spams and it helped, because it strengthened the leg muscles and got them working more normally. Unfortunately our Primary Care Trust doesn’t fund it but it’s been worth the money for me.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.