vixen 30/05/17
Last reply 11 months ago
Question for experienced MSers!

Hi all, diagnosed in Jan following 4 months of what I now now was my first big relapse (extreme fatigue, numbness in thigh, unable to walk far). Am now on Tecfidera with no side effects and slowly getting together. Today I went for a very gentle swim for the first time in years. Nothing energetic. However, when I went to get out I could barely walk. My legs felt incredibly heavy, like I was walking on the moon. After sitting for 10 minutes I was back to normal walking. What would cause that? Does that mean I should avoid swimming? Was it temperature change? Any ideas, please? Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
11 months ago

@vixen , it is so easy to overdo things in a swimming pool. Your body is buoyant, so you’re unsure of how much effort you’re exerting.

Next time, don’t do as much. Start gentle and increase when you can.

Generally, swimming is the best exercise for us. It’s low impact and avoids an increase in temperature.

nrl321
11 months ago

To quote a popular song lyric “story of my life”
I have SPMS but still train & compete with a swim club. The indoor pool I train at is like a sauna. I have learnt when to push it and when to back off to get better outcomes in training? my best results are achieved in more open/outdoor/cooler pools. My fitness level is equal to the top swimmers at the club but my fatigue levels are the worst (understandably).
I am only assuming your swimming in a heated pool? that will have the same effect that the hot weather has on us with MS.
When I swim I always have a 1 litre bottle of water at the end of the lane apart from drinking the cool water I sometimes just tip the water over my head if for nothing more than a psychological boost🙂.
Just my experience hope you can take something from it🙂

potter
11 months ago

A frozen bottle of water on the back of your neck will cool the blood going to your brain you recover faster if you are overheated. I don’t go any place in the summer without a cooler with ice bottles. Potter

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.