krisp 14/04/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Prms are there any treatments

Are there any treatments for prms? As in lemtrada is it available for prms becaue of the relapses or is it not because its progressive?
Same goes for HSCT I guess

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

2 years ago

@krisp, lemtrada is approved for any form of relapsing MS. Is that the question?

2 years ago

Hi yes
So that would include prms?

2 years ago

No question about it! It will stop all relapsing so the CNS can have a shot at repairing the damage. That is one reason that Lem is very BIG news. Those patients were summarily dismissed as unworthy for treatment. Not true!

2 years ago

An excerpt you may find interesting about the term”progressive MS”. The context is a Lemtrada research investigator discussing the politics of MS.

It will take years to repair the message “you shouldn’t treat MS” and opens the doors to insurance companies to increase the difficulty and expense of being treated, even though decades of solid scientific study show the benefits. I suspect in the next year your insurer will start to examine if you have disability and haven’t had new MRI and relapse (that is you are being treated effectively) that you should not be entitled to therapy because they want to call you progressive MS.

This is an antiquated and useless term other than for retrospective shorthand purposes. Hopefully, we can reverse the damage. I expect insurance companies will take liberties with MS patients, as they are taking people of one treatment to save a few hundred dollars a month, even though they are doing well to try to make them take another that is not as well supported or convenient because they can get it a little cheaper.

2 years ago

I am dxed with PRMS and just started Gilenya. I don’t know what the future holds but if the progression slows it will be worth it

2 years ago

@adambomb , no-one knows what the future holds. We’ve just been given a big hint to go carefully. 😉

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.