Last reply 3 months ago
Plegridy vs Avonex etc. Side effects?

I’ve had quite a hard time on Avonex with the side effects. But I’ve stuck with it for 7 years as it’s doing its job and I’m OK MS-wise. It’s been getting to me recently though so I’ve been thinking about the alternatives.

I was chuffed to discover that the same drug is now available in 2-weekly injections (as opposed to every week) as Plegridy. (Thanks very much to @embroideress for making me aware of that!) I contacted my MS nurses and they said I can switch in January if I want!

I was thinking that only every two weeks would be a big improvement. But I’m feeling a bit worried now that the side effects might be even worse with the bigger dose. I’ve read a couple of things on the web about ‘malaria weekend’, which doesn’t should very attractive!

I wonder if there’s anyone who has switched to Plegridy from one of the other interferons, and how the side effects compared?

Many thanks!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@jerbil , try selecting the “Plegridy” tag that has been automatically added to the bottom of your post above. This will then access all previous posts and information related to Plegridy.

jerbil
3 months ago

Thank you, @stumbler. I thought you might say that… I’ve spent quite a while searching it already so I guess I know pretty much what there is to know – will just have to wait and see what happens in my case.

I think you’re doing an amazing job with this site, by the way. Your answers are so on the ball and knowledgeable!

stumbler
3 months ago

Thanks, @jerbil . It’s very much appreciated. πŸ™‚

grandma
3 months ago

@jerbil, injected Avonex for 23 years, learnt to do injection at 9.00 pm at night, side effects kicked in 2 hrs later, I was in bed and asleep. Bit dozy the next morning but other than that, fine. Don’t know about Plegridy, not an expert. Just been changed from Avonex to Tecfidera, great year cos taking 2 tablets a day instead of sticking a big needle in myself once a week is a joy!✌🏼😍

jerbil
3 months ago

Thank you, @grandma. That is pretty much my strategy with avonex too, but unfortunately it hangs around for the best part of the next day too.

I know a lot of people like Tecfidera, and I may consider it if I can’t put up with Plegridy. I was just thinking that it may be better to stay on a slightly different formulation of the same drug if possible, as it seems to be doing the trick at the moment.

nicola15
3 months ago

@jerbil I was on Plegridy after using Avonex. I hated the injections weekly injections with Avonex hence why I changed, although unfortunately I wasn’t on Plegridy for long as I had a relapse (I’m now on Tec and that’s working well) but I really liked it and wish I could’ve stayed on it (I prefer it to Tec to be honest). Side effects for me were similar to Avonex so I was used to it and could deal with it ok, every two weeks not one was great, and the injection is painless and so much easier to do! Personally I think it’s worth a try switching although of course the choice is very personal. Hope that helps!

jerbil
3 months ago

Thank you, @nicola15, that is really encouraging!

Would you mind telling me exactly how bad your side-effects were with Avonex and Plegridy? It would be very interesting to have a direct comparison.

Good luck with the Tec! (No needles at least…)

nicola15
3 months ago

@jerbil Yes I definitely don’t miss the needles! I used to do both Avonex and Plegridy on a Monday night and my side effects were that flu-y feeling you get with it, mainly aches and sometimes shivers. They could last until Thursday with Plegridy, probably more like Wednesday with Avonex, even though I was told they should just be 24 hours. But I could handle them ok as long as I always had some strong paracetamol nearby! And I used to get as much sleep as I could especially that first night.

jerbil
3 months ago

@nicola15 – Thanks very much! The consensus seems to be that Plegridy takes longer to deal with. Normally I sleep until at least midday after Avonex – I wonder if Plegridy will knock me out for the week?!

Keep well!

nicola15
3 months ago

@jerbil Yes I guess that’s the trade off with doing it every two weeks, you might have to put up with the side effects for a little longer like I did. But I found it worth it, especially for the pretty much pain free injections – the needles in Plegridy shots are tiny compared to Avonex! Good luck with whichever you choose and keep well too!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.