Last reply 12 months ago
PIP

Hi My Ms nusres suggested I join up here, so Hi everyone, the reason I came is to see if anyone had anyone had any advice on Mandatory reconsidertation , I have had my mobility component taken away when I can walk less than 20m so to say I am angry right now would be an understatement!! TIA Jane x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bok2bjan
1 year ago

Hi – welcome. Sorry to hear about your rediced mobility – I too am losing that battle and have SPMS – but I don’t know what you’re going through – I assume with your health care. I live in the States, so I hope some of your fellow MSers there will chime in. Glad your nurses suggested you join shift!

bok2bjan
1 year ago

@jane16 – I will add that I too have a similar situation in the States. I’m on Medicaid, so I don’t qualify for a wheelchair except for use in the home. Since I live alone, I need a chair I can carry out of the house, into and out of the car etc. Ummm – I don’t think I can do that with the chair they would pay for. They won’t pay for a lift or scooter either. Apparently – I have to stay home. Being poor due to divorce and disability – I do understand that the government doesn’t owe me a good life. I accept that – but am saddened by it.

I hope you can get your situation changed!

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi @jane16 and welcome.

Yes, mandatory reconsideration is the next step that you need to take. There are strict timescales in this process, so don’t hang around.

You may also want to refer to the following website, https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ , to understand the process through to appeal, if necessary.

Arranging an appointment with your local Citizen’s Advice Bureaus, to gain their advice and support, is also considered to be a good idea.

Personally, I feared that the DWP and their agents would pursue this type of policy. A well-prepared appeal is usually successful, so do try and manage your stress levels as you “play this game”.

Good luck

jane16
1 year ago

Thank you for your replies,
Thank you @boktobjan hope things get better somehow for you, its not fair is it x

Hi Stumbler and thanks for the info,
Yes timescales are strict for a MR and it does not help that the decision letter arrives a full 7 days after they say that they wrote it 🙁 anyway it is what it is and the only choice we have is fight really, I have use the disability and work website too Stumbler and the CAB website, unfortunately my mobility does not allow me to go to their offices and I doubt I will be able to get a home visit in time. Seems the world is stacked against us most of the time but I don’t intend to go down with out a fight 🙂
thanks 🙂 Jane x

stumbler
1 year ago

@jane16 , I hope you don’t go down, full stop.

Just make sure you prepare yourself properly, providing as much evidence as you can to back up your case.

jane16
1 year ago

I hope so too @stumbler but the reality is I don’t have the energy or capacity for this , if I get too fired up and fighty I end up in bed sick, I work for myself and cant afford to be in bed especially since I am now not getting my mobility PIP, one minute I feel like punching someone the next I d quite like to go to sleep and not wake up 🙁 but I guess that’s what the DWP are aiming for isn’t it !’

stumbler
1 year ago

@jane16 , well, get that request for a mandatory reconsideration in straightaway. That might be enough.

But, give the CAB a chance and explain your circumstances and get them onside in case there is a need for an appeal. Also, contact your MS Nurse and ask for their assistance in providing some appropriate evidence.

I understand the need for balance, but get your preparations underway and then you can relax. It sounds like you have a cast iron case,

jane16
1 year ago

@stumbler I am preparing the letter now, have printed out all the PIP info from CAB etc etc and am going through their decision letter point by point challenging what they have said, have requested the assessors report, unfortuntely my CAB does not respond to phone calls so I have had to email them, cant see my Gp until 12th Dec but have emailed him, have left a message for my Neuro dept as my consultant has left and I haven’t been allocated a new one, my Ms nurse wont write me a letter but will talk to them on the phone if they call her, to be honest I would rather she didn’t she is a bit like a chocolate teapot! I do have a physio report which might be useful though so at least that;s something. Worst case scenario is the letter will have to go in without the evidence and that will have to follow.

Happy days 🙂
ps thanks for listening x

stumbler
1 year ago

@jane16 , contact the Patients Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at your hospital. Explain the problem and tell them what you need.

PALS are very good and will hopefully help.

jane16
1 year ago

Thanks @stumbler I will do that Monday x

hank
1 year ago

hi jane, i have already been here, lost part of my mobility , you must fight it, i did and wonat tribunial eventually , but first go for manditiry reconsideration , but dont expect to win then you will probably need to go to tribunal , when you do ,and it often takes months make sure you get letters of support from everyone you can , M.S. nurse, consultants , G.P. etc and be prepared for long haul , but it is worth it in the end.

yours hank

jane16
1 year ago

@hank Thank you for replying, unfortunately I have just been told I no longer have a consultant, my Gp is ignoring my emails, my MS nurse wont write letters, so it is all stacked against me at the moment. Pretty depressing really, am going to get my MP involved and get the MR back to them and then just take it from there I guess. Just keeping my fingers crossed for some better luck next year 🙂 x

stumbler
1 year ago

@jane16 , any joy with PALS?

Getting your MP involved is a good call. They need to understand how MSers are being treated.

Good luck.

jane16
1 year ago

Hi @stumbler

I didn’t approach PALS in the end as the Neurology dept called me back , with the disappointing news that no replacement for my consultant had been employed, they could only offer me an appointment at a hospital that is too far away. I now have to go back to my GP and ask him to refer me to a different hospital which is nearer to my parents (long story but basically I cant go alone and my mum cant leave my dad for too long as he has altzheimers). Since had a letter from them saying that they are not replacing the Neuro at all at my hospital so no local service anymore.

I’m going ahead with MR with what I have and getting my MP on the case all I can do now.

Thanks for listening again x

stumbler
1 year ago

@jane16 , you only want a status report to provide to the DWP!!

The hospital has your notes so it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to provide this! You shouldn’t have to consider being referred to another hospital our of your area.

I can’t believe that all the neurology patients at you hospital have been treated like this. What is your MS Nurse doing for Consultant support?

I’d go back to PALS and thank them for the help so far, but then explain that your request has not been understood and you just need a letter confirming your condition for the purposes of the re-assessment.

jane16
12 months ago

@stumbler Yes I agree , but I am not convinced that they could provide anything in addition to the letter that my old Consultants letter (yearly appointment summary) which I have already supplied with my reassesment form. Its not that detailed and basically just says what I have , general symptoms etc. They have ignored it really anyway , that actual physical fuction, like leg weakness, walks with limp etc stuff seems to be taken on board but they done seem to understand that its the fatigue that really kills me and prevents me form daily living functions and affect mys mobility. What I need is a consultant to say this lady cannot walk more than 20 m without having to sit down and rest and the impact of one trip on 20 m is to leave me in bed for hours recovering etc. His letter did not spell it out like that and I suspect there will be no one there that could give more detail. I will try PALS and see though.
Unfortunately yes we are all being treated that way , they have just sent out letters to all Neuro patients cancelling all appointments advising us that we will be sent an appointment elsewhere in due course…., last time I spoke to my MS nurse and Neuro Physio neither of them knew what was going on.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

stumbler
12 months ago

@jane16 , lean on the Neuro-physio to document an assessment of your capabilities. They shouldn’t kick and scream so much about the request………..

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.