Last reply 1 month ago
Pins and needles

Hey guys, i’m New to this group.
January this year I was diagnosed with early stage MS. I keep hoping that the diagnosis is wrong and trying to ignore it but I’m steadily coming to terms with it. I have had pins and needles in my hands and fingers for about a year now and just wondered if anyone else has had it for a long period of time and the feeling has come back? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rivka
1 month ago

Welcome to our club, not that any of us planned to be club members of the MS club, but here we are. Yes, I have had pin and needles, and burning and numbness, for three years now. It does wax and wane but it never leaves. I have found keeping my feet warm but not hot, helps, and elevating my feet periodically throughout the day helps too. The worse is trying to fall asleep. There, I find different creams help (bengay, voltaran, lidocaine cream) I also get acupuncture once a month, which I think (?) helps too.
I know for many people these things do go away, and I hope yours do, but if they don’t, hang in there. 😊

gemben
1 month ago

Thank you for your reply rivka and thank you for the tips 😊

lightning87
1 month ago

I’ve had tingling/numbness is my hand for well over a year. It hasn’t gone completely but has got better. Some days it’s worse than others but could be due to heat/tiredness.

lightning87
1 month ago

And welcome 🙂 x

gemben
1 month ago

Thank you lightning87. Yes I agree when I’m tired it’s worse. Also if my diet is bad and I have too much sugar it is worse x

stumbler
1 month ago

Hi @gemben and welcome.

MS causes lesions, or scarring, on our Central Nervous Systems (CNS). This damage may interfere with messages to and from the brain to the nerve endings at a specific area. As the brain is unable to get the correct information from these nerve endings, it is unsure of what response to provide.

This can result in sensory symptoms, e.g. pins/needles, burning, etc.. This can be the residual damage of a relapse and leaves us with symptoms that we just have to manage:-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/altered-sensations

gemben
1 month ago

Thank you for the link stumbler this is really useful. I’m so grateful to have found this group 😊

vixen
1 month ago

Hello @gemben, just to say welcome! As newly diagnosed, you may still be in recovery from a relapse so this may not be permanent; lots of tips above to help though 🙂

gemben
1 month ago

Thank you Vixen 😊

cloudy
1 month ago

Gemben I started off with pins & needles on my entire left side u had them for over a month they went away saw neuro at the time but no mention of ms or even having an mri at the time that was 28 years ago and with only a few blips here and there only this year have I been finally given the dx so it is possible that the pins & needles will settle down but as you probably are well are from this forum that absolutely no two people are the same in their progression path so don’t take anyone’s experience to reflect ur own always think positively I think the more stressed you get the worse the symptoms – well hope things settle down for u

mamawals
1 month ago

Yes. The first time it lasted a year (one shoulder, arm, and hand) and went away when I got pregnant. The second time (both legs, arms, and abdomen) lasted a month and again went away when I got pregnant. The third most recent time (one side of face, arm, chest, and hand) lasted several months but has mostly gone away, it does temporarily come back in my face right now when I get hot or have a really stressful day.

gemben
1 month ago

Mamawals I have read before that pregnancy can ease symptoms, how strange. I definately agree stress makes things so much worse. I have just finished uni as a mature student and I’m sure it’s the stress from that that’s started the symptoms. It’s nice to hear there is still hope he pins and needles may disappear Thanks for you reply

mamawals
1 month ago

@gemben, I really wish they would study why pregnancy and breastfeeding have such an impact on disease activity. I asked my neurologist if I should go on birth control or hormone therapy and he just kind of blew me off, but I was basically pregnant or breastfeeding for almost five years straight and never had symptoms during those times. I also read that hormone therapy can have a big impact on cognitive decline as we get older.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.