Last reply 6 years ago
Physiotherapy…so bored, whats the point?

Obviously, I realise there is a point, I just find it difficult to get back into the routine of doing it, everyday. I was just wondering what ways people use to get back into the old physiotherapy routine? I’m motivated to carry on doing it, its just difficult when I fall out the habit.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Becks
6 years ago

Hi Gav, I really struggle with this too, especially when everyday life takes over following each relapse …like work… and then you’re too knackered and just don’t find the time to slot the physio in even though you know you should! I’ve tried setting an alarm on my phone but didn’t work cos i kept snoozing it and then got fed up of it keep going off every 5 mins. I tried getting hubby to nag me (not good idea!) I tried doing physio @ set time of day and then the opposite-as and when I felt like slotting it into the daily grind but nothing has stuck. What do u try?

Gav
6 years ago

I try to say I’m going to do it once before Lunch, and then once again after dinner, or at the moment, none before lunch and none after dinner, its surprisingly easy. I need to crack on with it again though, my body isn’t going to fix itself, which is annoying asa it does seem to love messing it up.

Stephen
6 years ago

It is so difficult but it is the most benefical and powerful thing we can all do to fight our MS. It is ironic that the exercises that are most difficult are often the most beneficial. I exercise everyday and it has helped me so please keep it up and enjoy the benefits.

Becks
6 years ago

I must admit its the fact I get so damned frustrated that my body doesn’t do what my head would say are the most basic of moves that I become demoralised and less incentivised to do the physio. Its that head block I can’t get round….and also when I start out the improvement is so noticeable you keep going but when you reach a plateau and the improvement to a lay person seems less noticeable its hard to keep the motivation up, especially when you see a physiotherapist once a month. I need someone to crack the whip to motivate me I’m just no good motivating myself when I use my energy motivating myself to keep working and carry on in general – I know excuses, excuses!!!!!!

DJDsouza
6 years ago

I find it more fun to work on building my arms up than focussing on working the important core stability muscles below my non-existent 6 pack! Though, recently, it’s kind of clicked in my brain, that it really makes a difference to work on this but it does seem to tire me out more doing this….. guess it will improve things in the future!

Gav
6 years ago

As my physio says ‘is its easy, its not doing you any good’

Stephen
6 years ago

That’s a good point Gav. Maybe we should ask our physio to wiggle their ears next time we see them?

ghada
6 years ago

Hey Gav,
I do my physio (still doing it after 12 months from my foot drop) has helped, i did get bored and less motivated once i reached a plateau so i do it whilst watching stand up comedy, film, the news, washing diches etc etc so it’s incorporated into some form of daily activity. Obviously i don’t know how this is feasible as it would dep on the type of exercise!
hope it helps!
ps i’ve even exercised whilst chatting on skype..hubby was well impressed..or maybe confused.com! lol:)x

DJDsouza
6 years ago

Saw this yesterday and thought it very relevant to this chat 🙂

How Exercise Could Lead to a Better Brain
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/magazine/how-exercise-could-lead-to-a-better-brain.html?pagewanted=all

Gav
6 years ago

I tend to listen to some music, YouTube is quite a good source for tracks to listen to, heres a link to the playlist I do them to http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E1B9CB5E4DA1CEB I particularly like ‘Titanium’ and ‘Firework’ I just love the lyrics, I find them really empowering 😀 ‘you shoot me down, but I won’t fall I am titanium’ Rocking 😉

Becks
6 years ago

Just been listening to your playlist – great toons!!!!! Will try doin physio to your choices in the hope that i can tell my brain to kick ass as i won’t be the only person trying to motivate myself to do physio. I also tried Lady Gaga’s album (when doin physio) in partic ‘Teeth’ although more for the beat rather than the lyrics!!!!!! 🙂

My inspirational song when MS gets me down/people tell me what i should or should not do is Bon Jovi’s ‘Its my life’ – great song to stick two fingers up at the world to!!! 🙂

cameron
6 years ago

I find there’s a time – usually about 4 weeks – after which I can’t bear doing the same exercises. Fortunately, I usually see the physio every four weeks and she always gives me something different. She never says so but I get the feeling she knows that you just need the variety to keep you going. Then even within this, there’s the odd day when I just know I’m going to fall off the exercise wagon!

highheeledfagin
6 years ago

I find it difficult because the problem that I was having is now so much better because of the physio that it is easy to feel as though it doesn’t really matter if I do any more. I find that getting into a routine really helps as it’s easier to do things out of habit than because you know you should, but even a little bit is better than nothing.

cameron
6 years ago

Absolutely agree. As I said in another post, I seem incapable of following any physio routine for longer than a few weeks. I know now that I need a further physio appointment: I need feedback and assessment. When I get it and (as always happens) there’s something further to be done, I’m quite happy to start the new exercises. I’m lucky because I have one physio who knows my MS inside out and can give me very useful feedback. Her take is that the musculo-skeletal system is very compromised in MS because the body is madly trying to compensate for the nerve damage. She says that disability build-up can be as much to do with this compensation as with the MS itself. Physio treatment tries to correct this secondary stuff – as I’m sure you know. But the key is constant assessment – she regularly finds ‘little things’ which aren’t quite right (tight ankle, stiff finger, reduced stretch in a leg etc etc) but so far TOUCH WOOD physio has corrected it. Hope this helps.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.