Last reply 9 months ago
Pain in my legs

Hi my main issue is controlling the pain in my legs. I have been taking gabapentine for years now and am on the max dose of 3600mg a day. This usually keeps it at bay but for the last month the pain has been getting worse especially when weight bearing. It has got so bad I don’t want to walk as its too painful. Does anyone suffer with this or have any suggestions for any other medication that could help?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ā€˜xā€™.

Anonymous
9 months ago

Hi @mantaray2001 I know exactly what you’re going through. My legs really hurt after any time standing (even after a shower) my pain is like I’ve run a hundred marathons, as opposed to neuropathic ‘buzzing’ pain which I also get! My Neuro said my spasticity is causing the pain (my legs are REALLY stiff. For this I take baclofen & tizanidine, neither helps. For pain I have taken pregabalin, gabapentin & carbamazepine. These have either been ineffective or the side effects too extreme. I’ve also had physio but this makes the pain worse. I’ve had Botox a couple of times too. I now have an appointment at a pain clinic in early January. So maybe you could try carbamazepine or pregabalin (your GP can prescribe these, but may be worth checking with your MS nurse. I too have pretty much stopped walking because of the pain & understand how it cann get you down šŸ™ I hope something works for you & I’ll post if the pain clinic helps…

All the best,
Craig

mantaray2001
9 months ago

Thanks Craig. It’s good to know others have to same feeling as not wanting to walk because of the pain as I feel I’m letting myself down as I’m normally such a fighter when it comes to my symptoms. Hope pain clinic works out. I’ve got a telephone appointment with someone from MS team this morning so hopefully they will agree to try one of things you mentioned.
Sam

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Mantaray & Craig, I’m not sure if Magnesium would help but has to be worth a go. I know it helps with muscle cramps and doesn’t cost a lot. I hope you feel better soon!
https://wellnessmama.com/3610/low-magnesium/

nutshell88
9 months ago

Well when i was in Scotland in the winter my legs were in pure agony my neiro prescrribed me gabapentine but I looked online cor the side effects – iā€™m paranoid of treatments btw- read it might effect the heart or something.
So i never took it now im backvto my country – Saudi Arabia – legs pain is so slight i even forget it for months. Maybe its to do with extreme cold weather.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.