wrinkly 06/03/18
Last reply 2 months ago
OMS diet and Wahl's diet

The Wahl’s diet “cures” MS – ok…
The OMS diet “Overcomes MS” -ok…
But they contradict each other.
Wahl – red meat. OMS – No meat. And there are other examples I can’t think of at the moment.
Isn’t it all a load of b*****ks?
Saying that, I ‘m trying to stay on the OMS diet and hoping things will improve, if only a bit.
But in the back of my mind I think I ‘m clutching at straws.
Has anyone got an opinion?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@wrinkly , it is all a bit contradictory, isn’t it?

But, the bottom line is that adopting a healthier diet should make you feel better.

cameron
3 months ago

For what it’s worth, I believe that it’s the underlying overall good health that brings the benefit. There’s no direct proof that any one diet will improve MS symptoms (lots of anecdotal stuff, though), but there is NO DOUBT that adding medical conditions to the MS is likely to worsen the MS. Our bodies cope with the impairments/symptoms by drawing on brain reserve. Other conditions (‘co-morbidities’) draw further on that reserve and will use it up faster. So (in my opinion), it’s less about OMS v. Wahls and more about finding what works for you to keep you in optimal health. The advice we’re probably all familiar with is pretty sound – lots of veggies, avoidance of sugar, refined carbs and processed food etc. The sting in the tail is that we risk paying a very heavy price if we live unhealthily…

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@wrinkly

Rick,

We do what works for us; whatever makes sense. I have PPMS & am also not on treatment. My wife has me taking Vitamin D every morning plus Omega 3-6-9…

She changed my eating habits. Fish & chicken are priorities; vegetables daily. NO milk, eggs or red meat; although I will treat myself to a Steak tenderloin once a month over the summer.

The physical deterioration has stopped. Minor improvements in walking but I suspect this is due to my body adjusting. I am okay with this…

cameron
3 months ago

@edmontonalberta – you must be really pleased that things have stabilised. I’ve been on a low carb, multi veg regime for over a year and definitely feel benefit. I can tolerate more exercise and my weak leg copes with more before it protests. I’m getting interested in the evidence coming out about keeping the gut healthy through diet adaptations. Sounds promising, one to watch.

californiadreamin
3 months ago

@wrinkly Couple thoughts:

1) They could both work but via different methods
2) They both could work because they eliminate common things like processed foods like dairy
3) They both could work because they both have a lot of common things like green veggies
4) They could each work for different people with different amounts of success.

We follow OMS and it takes a while to get the maximum benefit. But my wife is it in for the long haul. We would consider Whahls but just felt the evidence was strong for OMS and its more consistent with the heart healthly diets that are generally out there.

Here is a worth while article for you to consider. Its not proof, but if you have MS I think its enough to not ignore. Doctors may have the luxury of time to wait for trials if they ever really do any large ones, but if something is only going to be good for you and could help MS its probably worth considering strongly:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/multiplesclerosis/69725

highflyingbird
3 months ago

@wrinkly they all contradict each other from walhs to swank to OMS to whatever you find, but some work for some and others for others. There is no real hard evidence to say which one works or helps and if you ask me and this is just my opinion its what a person believes more in that will aid the best result for them kinda like a placebo effect…….
i tried diets but i now eat a healthy diet of what i want and as they say healthy body healthy mind
if you feel like trying them pick one and give it a go it may help but i just think if diet were the cause of all these illnesses that we have today then there would be a whole lot more people ill and a lot more of us getting better if it were just down to diet change… just my opinion.. i would look at stress quicker and what that can do to a body….

stay strong my friend…………..

buitenmus
3 months ago

I’ve put the question on diet on the list for my appointment with the neurologist on Monday. Curious what she thinks about it, but The MS clinic diëtist advised to eat healthy and really limit Sugar, cause It doesn’t give long term Energy.

stumbler
3 months ago

@buitenmus , you may well find that your Neuro is very ambivalent about diet. They like to see Clinical Evidence, as they don’t work with anecdotal stories.

wrinkly
3 months ago

Hello @stumbler,@cameron,@californiadreamin,@highflyingbird,@buitenmus
Thanks for all your informative posts.
Of course it must be better to have a diet of fresh foods rather than the high salt, high fat, processed foods.
That’s why I’m trying to stay on the OMS diet.
And it’s good to read that for most of you, the change to a more healthy diet seems to alleviate some of the problems associated with your MS.
To be honest when I made the post I was hankering after my young innocent days when I would eat a gigantic fry-up and have no worries about the consequences.
And I agree with @highflyingbird, stress is not good.
I have noticed that my MS gets clearly worse when I’m under stress – especially my walking.
The trouble is, when my walking difficult, I get more under stress because my walking is bad. It’s a vicious circle.
Take care and stay strong everybody.

cameron
3 months ago

@wrinkly – also don’t underestimate the need to get medical help with symptoms. I know there’s as yet no DMT for PP, but for walking issues there is a lot of help out there – probably not with your neuro, though. Balance, drop foot, general weakness …. if this sounds familiar, have you thoroughly investigated what neuro physio could do for you? My MS is at present RR, but I had fixed (significant) leg impairment from day one. I’ve done Functional Electrical Stimulation, brain re-training (physio) and now have a carbon metal, weightless leg splint. It’s been a ‘long quest’ to find the right road for me, but it was time well spent. In the fifteen years since diagnosis my walking distance has increased three-fold. (IMO) we’re not able to self-help with walking issues. Until a professional can tell you what muscle groups are affected and advise accordingly, you may be making the problem worse. Just my thoughts.x

sylvanna
3 months ago

Hey @wrinkly, just for the record I have eaten only plant-based foods for the last 23 years and I still developed MS. Although on the flip side I have had my MS a while and have a minimal number of lesions, and those I do have are small. It could be that diet has helped slow their spread but of course I will never know for sure. But eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables certainly helps. Despite often feeling a bit crap on the inside people regularly mistake me for 10 years younger than I am, which cheers me up no end 😀

easycleanpress
2 months ago

Personally I think that diet does have a lot to do with MS and that this is backed up by evidence however big pharma control most of the money and direction in research and thus focus studies on treatments that they can sell for big money! I recommend Mic the Vegan’s video on MS and diet for a lighthearted overview of the different studies and research in this area if you do want to know what and where this research is but giving up all the lovely food is certainly easier said than done!!

hels
2 months ago

@wrinkly @easycleanpress This is my opinion, you need a good gut flora. I believe it all stems from gut health and not getting enough vit D in the whomb.

I wasn’t breast fed so didn’t get all the good bacteria in my stomach to start off with. Vast amounts of antibiotics for tonsillitis, chest infections, sinus infections so again the good gut bacteria got a battering and didn’t get replenished. If there’s not enough good bacteria in the gut things can pass through the gut wall which wouldn’t normally pass through.

The Western diet is full of processed foods and saturated animal fats. Too much animal protein passes through the gut wall and across the blood brain barrier and your body attacks it as it thinks it’s a foreign body. The immune system is a bit faulty due to it not having enough vit d when it developed, it can’t distinguish between the food protein that’s leeked through and the protein sheaths (myelin) around the axons and it’s starts attacking the nerves after the animal protien and can’t switch off, just keeps on keeping on.

I know everyone is different but I’ve read too much evidence to suggest that it’s not caused by geographical environment and diet. I really don’t think it’s hereditry either.

In my opion eating lean meat is better than eating dairy. Broccolli has more protein gram for gram than beef so don’t feel like you’ll be missing out on protein if you cut down, just eat more green stuff.

I eat oily fish for brain health, no red meat, no dairy. But if I’m eating out and struggling I relax my rules a bit so I don’t go mental lol!!! X

cammo
2 months ago

@wrinkly I too have found this conundrum.
I recently switched from OMS to Wahls and have not had any issues.
I think what both diets share is the idea of whole foods and high vegetable consumption.
Yes Wahls does allow red meat and saturated fats, but by the time you have eaten 9 cups of veggies for the day there is little room for meats.
So switch to Wahls and you can have your fry up. Provided you include 3 cups of spinach, some mushrooms, maybe a couple of cups of capsicum. Oh and make sure the bacon is grass fed organic pork. (which tastes better imo). Wash all that down with some Kambucha and you are set.
But seriously, the Wahls diet is a lot more delicious and easier to follow than OMS.
I combine the excercise, vitD and meditation of OMS with the food from Wahls. It is working out so far.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.