Last reply 5 years ago
No walking problems…

Hi All,

I guess i am in need of a little inspiration. Is there anyone on here whose walking has not been affected… who doesnt “look” like they have MS? I am not meaning to be insensitive to those who do need walking aids etc but at this point I havent yet and i am feeling a scared. I am trying to hold on to the thought that maybe i wont need one. and if i do maybe it will just be a a stick and i will be much older….

is this a realistic dream? *sigh*

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 years ago

@mrshawk, I went from 1986, through to the mid-90s with no discernible walking difficulties. I hadn’t been diagnosed and my only problem was the legs getting fatigued. I got my first stick around 1999.
Looking back, if I’d known then what I know now, I may have been a lot more mobile now.
So, be optimistic and learn from us old farts with some experience! Things have moved forwards and more is being discovered about our condition. I was never offered DMDs back then, but I still feel that I could have managed the condition a lot better!
🙂

scramblelina
5 years ago

I don’t “look” like I have MS either, I’m eternally grateful that to date (knocking on wood as I speak) I have had no symptoms that have inhibited my day to day life.

Sometimes I do wonder what will happen next and have spent quite a lot of time sitting by myself obsessing about it and basically scaring myself to death. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that really there is very little you can do about it and what will be will be. All you can do is do as much as possible from your end, look after your health, eat properly, exercise if possible.

Good luck x

mcgilligan
5 years ago

Oddly enough I use a walking stick on occasion, but that is due to a broken leg and not MS. I broke my leg about 3 weeks before I was diagnosed my MS. As my leg is getting stronger I use the walking stick less.

I think you have a realistic dream, but do not be discouraged if you do use the walking stick. Remember it is a very useful tool that can help you maintain a normal life.

McGilligan

bamelia
5 years ago

@mrshawk
My knees are stiff and a lot weaker because of my replaspe, but I don’t use a cane. I think worry is such a downer for MSers…it is very hard to avoid.

janep
5 years ago

Hey @mrshawk, I’ve used a cane or crutches a couple of times since I was diagnosed in 2007 but only ever during the height of a relapse and in between I’ve been lucky enough to have no noticeable symptoms at all, I even climbed Snowdon a couple of summers ago! Nothing is inevitable with this condition and whilst the unpredictability can often be the hardest thing to deal with, I’ve always felt that I’d rather it was unpredictable than predictably horrible! No-one, whether they have MS or not, knows what the future holds so I just try and live day to day and not stress myself out about something I can neither know or control. xx

cameron
5 years ago

So, @stumbler, what do you regret doing/not doing that might have kept you more mobile? Are there lessons we should be learning?

stumbler
5 years ago

@cameron, I can put my major relapses down to stress. I allowed work situations to get the better of me.
In the whole scheme of things and on reflection, I should have just allowed the situations to flow over me.
So, yes, chill out. Adopt an almost “am I bothered?” attitude!
I think I’m too laid back now, as I keep falling over!
😎

cameron
5 years ago

A (retired) friend told me that it wouldn’t be until I stopped work that I would realise how much stress I’d been carrying. At the time, I thought I knew what she meant, but it hit me in an unexpected way when I retired. It wasn’t so much everyday worries about the job, it was bigger, vaguer, more intractable situations that I’d been carrying vicariously without even realising it. Things like if the overall budget would be cut, or what the next government directive would be. It’s taken me three years to shed these concerns in full but now I’m really feeling the benefits.

celinec
5 years ago

Hi, I was diagnosed around 13yrs ago and never told anyone apart from close family – you’d never have known! It was only when I had quite a big op 3yrs ago that I have started to struggle a bit which lead to me having to tell work (that is a whole different story). I totally agree with @stumbler as I have wasted far too much time allowing my work to cause me a ridiculous amount of stress. I keep reminding myself we work to live, not live to work! I’m now working on building my own business with the hope that one day I can run, (yes run) away from my job and carry on doing what I absolutely love. Enjoy your life, don’t waste your energy worrying and maybe set yourself challenges of things you wouldn’t normally do. Keep smiling 🙂 x

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.