Last reply 2 months ago
Newly diagnosed RRMS. Bladder query

Hi, Thanks for adding me to this group. I was recently diagnosed with MS. I had slurred speech which was treated with steroids. I’ve been having trouble passing urine, sometimes I go normally, other times I have to sit and wiggle before passing a pathetic amount of urine. Had a bladder scan but not sure what can be done. Any advice you guys can give me?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

look
2 months ago

Hi @hartleybear,
I am certain that there is a tablet you can take for spasm of the bladder that may be the cause of not being able to go to the loo properly. I think your Ms nurse can write to or e Mail your GP to obtain prescription of the tablets if that’s what they think is the problem. All the best and hope you manage to get some help,
Loo – K

hartleybear
2 months ago

Thanks, I’ve got an appointment to see neurologist in October. I will ask then or ask my GP when I get my scan results.

vixen
2 months ago

Hello @hartleybear and welcome. I guess if you are just diagnosed then you may still be recovering from a relapse and things will settle. I can identify with the issues you have mentioned. Interestingly I’ve just been on holiday for three weeks in the sun. My daily uptake of water increased dramatically and my tea drinking lessened. Suddenly, my daily toilet routine was just like the good old days before I was diagnosed. Boring I know, but it really settled things down in a good old fashioned, no. Medicated way. Good luck!

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @hartleybear and welcome.

There’s a lot of information regarding Bladder Problems here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/bladder-problems

cameron
2 months ago

Bladder issues are so common in MS that all MS nurses will be able to point you in the right direction. There are meds and also lots of advice on how to deal with this. Be hopeful! x

psmarson
2 months ago

I have had bladder problems for two years but do not need catheterize. I have a constant sense of urgency, but no leakage. Has anyone tried any medication that has worked well. I was reading about low dose botox, which looks very promising. Any insights would be quite helpful.

henriette
2 months ago

I am in South Africa and uses Vesicare. Very dffective for me.

stumbler
2 months ago

@psmarson , the low dose Botox option has only just been mentioned in the news following some success in trials. So, it’s early days at the moment for that option.

But, have a word with your Doctor or medical team and see if you can be referred to an incontinence advisor.

grandma
2 months ago

Hi Hartleybear, I’m one of the old codgers, had rrms for 23 years, and it has just changed to spms, what was normally urgency has become immediate so I’ve got the opposite problem to you, I ‘wet” myself several times a day, couldn’t get any help despite a couple of visits to the clinic, but funnily enough last week I saw an OT from the local cottage hospital (she came about loo transfers and handles in my shower) and she happened to ask about how often I used the loo, and when I explained my problem, I can’t do anything quickly, so very often don’t make it in time, she was appalled that I wasn’t given supplies, and is sorting it out for me so that’s one less thing I will have to pay for! So there is help out there, you just gave to find it, be it gp, ms nurse whoever. Good luck😍

mlm85
2 months ago

Botox… its what i am getting… im so sick of the on and off and on again need of peeing.

hartleybear
2 months ago

Thanks guys, my feet also swell, my shoes feel right. Is this related? My aunt thinks it is.

stumbler
2 months ago

@hartleybear , MS is capable of causing all manner of strange sensations.

If there is some MS damage between your feet and your brain, there is a fair chance that messages to and from your feet to your brain will be impacted. If the brain is not receiving the correct messages, then it cannot send the correct responses. Hence, strange inappropriate sensations are the result.

Hope this helps.

hartleybear
2 months ago

@stumbler, I meant a link between my shoes feeling tight and my feet feeling swollen and my bladder issue. I heard there could be a connection. My aunt said maybe the doc could rectify the issues with water tablets but I’m not sure what the medication is for.🤔

stumbler
2 months ago

@hartleybear , are your feet actually swollen or do you just have a sensation that they are swollen?

MS is very good at giving you sensations (https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/altered-sensations)

The fact that your bladder is affected makes it no surprise that your feet may be suffering from “altered sensations”.

You have to be wary of contacting your Doctor about what may be MS issues. General Doctors are outside of their comfort zone, where MS is concerned. Your MS Nurse is best placed to determine what is and isn’t MS-related.

leighlincoln
2 months ago

I lot of Botox so far. Feels symptoms are worsening. My g.p. has arrangd an appointment with my MS Urologist next week. TMI feels like undercarriage being pulled put from under me.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.