Last reply 3 years ago
newly diagnosed

Hi guys. Nice to meet you all.

I am newly diagnosed with RRMS after 3 relapses in 6 years. MRI shows significant areas of inflammation.

I am struggling with fatigue at the moment and have been offered dopamine agonists drugs. Firstly wondering if anyone had any experience of them.

Also i have been accepted onto DMD and have been asked to choose between tecfideera and copaxone. I understand that with tec I would have to have blood monitoring fortnightly and copaxone is just home inject with no monitoring.

Just hoping I can get some info on here to help me make my decision.

Thankyou!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Hi @johnys2000 and welcome to our piece of cyberspace.

I can’t say that I’ve heard much about Dopamine agonists to combat fatigue. Fatigue is one of the major symptoms of MS and I’m sure most of our members, who suffer fatigue, would be interested in hearing more about this treatment.

As far as adopting a DMD, you may want to have a read through this website, which covers this subject :- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/publications/disease-modifying-drug-therapy/

Copaxone was one of the original first line injectable treatments. But, now there is more choice, with Tecfidera being one of the newer first line oral treatments.

There’s positives and negatives on both treatments, so choice may be down to personal preference.

it may be wise to use the forum search function (magnifying glass, top left) to look at earlier discussions on these two treatments. 😉

wilf
3 years ago

Tecfidera is a capsule taken twice a day and The ms team put a letter in with the drugs saying I needed to get regular blood tests with the gp nurse.

Once after Two weeks (Fbc&Lft)

Once after 1month (Fbc&Lft)

At 3&6 months (Fbc&Lft&U&E & urine test) then every 6 months.

Copaxome is an injection every day with no regular blood tests.

I was on avonex for 10months which is a once a week injection but I don’t like needles so prefer the tecfidera. All depends what’s important to you as to what you choose.

DMDs have worked for me, no relapse for a year and everyday symptoms have reduced.

Best wishes
Kath

Anonymous
3 years ago

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/treatments-and-therapies/licensed-disease-modifying-drugs/Tecfidera#How_does_Tecfidera_work

Some info – it suggests Tecfidera may be more effective than copaxone.

I’m surprised you’ve only been given a choice of two. Where in the world are you?

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.