gandtgirl 28/11/17
Last reply 2 months ago
New to all this!

Hi, I’m new to all this, not just the MS but posting anything on line like this. I was diagnosed earlier this year -quite quickly (less than 6 months) after my first visit to the GP with a list of symptoms.

Turns out that ‘flappy leg’ wasn’t connected to my sciatica after all! Now I’m just waiting for a classification but, being 56, it is most likely primary progressive.

Not sure what happens next, just have the feeling that things will develop steadily but hopefully slowly. Have a great nurse who answers emails really quickly and keeps me feeling positive. In fact, I’m seeing her tomorrow – more Gabapentin in the pipeline I expect

Has anyone got any suggestions for how to deal with hand pain especially when it feels as though the skin will burst? When it’s really bad holding a glass of something cold seems to do the trick but unfortunately it can’t always be G and T!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 months ago

Hi @gandtgirl and welcome.

The first thing is that we don’t bite on this forum.

Unfortunately, no-one knows what will happen next. We’re all different, so one person’s experience will be very different to the next. But, seeking the advice of other MSers is a good starting point for you.

Just generally, we recommend and healthy diet, with a healthy lifestyle, whilst avoiding any form of stress.

As to your hand situation, discuss this with your MS Nurse. Yes, there may be a need to up the Gabapentin. We don’t want you spilling your G and T, do we? 😉

cameron
4 months ago

I was diagnosed when I was 53 and it wasn’t primary progressive – it’s only a very small proportion of newly-diagnosed MSers who are, so don’t jump to conclusions. Lots of luck with the treatments/contacts with your nurse. And hopefully get Xmas supplies of Gordon’s while the offers are on… x

us-emma
4 months ago

I agree with Cameron, I hope it’s not PP- this often means you will not qualify for treatment. If they do offer you treatment seriously consider it to slow progression. Unfortunately that is how success is measured in MS- slowing or stopping more disability.

I fight hard to ‘stay in the game’.

Your hand pain could be from a few causes. I just posted to the Reynauds thread and those suggestions might help you.

Are your hands swollen? Really fatigued? Do you have high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes? If you have any other co-morbidities (other health issues) be sure to fully address those as they can contribute and if treated might help.

Have you tried heat? If you don’t have a heating pad you can put some uncooked rice in a tube sock, tie it off and microwave it. This makes a reusable heating pad that is less likely to burn you- as long as it is not too hot to start with- because it cools naturally. I use this method to help fall asleep- safer than a heating pad.

If your hands are numb test the temp on another body part with full sensation- or have someone test it for you. I gave myself second degree burns with a heating pad once because my skin sensation was dulled- hence my caution.

Physical therapy or occupational therapy (the latter specific to upper body, hands especially) might also help strengthen your hands.

Often in MS you need to be your own advocate- the ‘squeaky wheel’ – multiple times to multiple providers before the docs are able to piece out what might be the culprit.

Best wishes in your journey. We are glad to have you, but so sorry to hear that you are ‘joining the MS club’. Although MS does give you a bit of a license to be zany, a Mojito girl myself!

Cheers,
Emma

topsyjkv
4 months ago

I find when any of my pain gets bad, something cold helps. It de-sensitises the nerves therefore giving relief. A bit like the magic sponge on football field lol.

gandtgirl
2 months ago

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.

Have just returned from a skiing trip and had very little hand pain, so heat is definitely a factor there. My left leg wasn’t too sure what was happening on the first day, but stopped transmitting its mad signals once it got use to having a plank at the bottom! Just had to learn when to stop – no more skiing from first to last lift of the day. Too much snow meant a no ski day and early finishes so I didn’t become too tired. Fresh air, great company and good food help too :).

Re Gin, husband found a new one – Bathtub – wonder where that should be drunk?

vixen
2 months ago

Hi there, I’m slightly younger, newly diagnosed and with RRMS so who knows? It’s a bit of a shock just when you think you have all your decades in order, but hey ho! You will have lots of support on here. And I’d never posted anything online either, so big welcome! X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.