molly89 24/02/17
Last reply 1 year ago
New here

Hi, Recently diagnosed with RRMS (age 38) which I didn’t believe but then had a relapse in Dec which really made the reality sink in. Had a f/u scan and now am being suggested to start DMT. I’m trying to think about this logically and I wonder if anyone travels to the US from UK and how they manage it if/when they carry medication with them. One of my big hesitations of injections is the hassle when traveling esp abroad outside of Europe. Long haul flights – I usually have 2 per year. I’m therefore thinking more strongly about tablets but again not sure if that is better. If anyone can comment on starting on tablets vs injections I’d be grateful. I haven’t told family abroad so that is another fear. How can I hide injections while visiting or can I just stop them for a short while? Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

potter
1 year ago

I took Rebif shots for five years until I started having skin rejection. The day after I had a shot I always felt like I was getting over the flu. I would even fall asleep while sitting up. I am taking Tec for three years now, it took me three months to get use to it (stomach problems) and three more to get to the point where they didn’t bother me at all. I have started having some ankle swelling and fuzzy brain last summer but I just skip a pill when that happens. My neuro suggested this he thought I was getting to much Tec in my system. Some people don’t have any problems, there is a lot of help now on when and what to eat when taking Tec. It was worth working through the stomach problems to feel good everyday. Potter

hels99
1 year ago

I haven’t had any problems flying although I haven’t flown outside of Europe post diagnosis – airlines and airport staff are used to people travelling with medication in their hand luggage including syringes and your MS nurse will be able to provide a letter confirming why you are carrying it. As for hiding it, I never do my injections in front of anyone anyway so that isn’t an issue – the syringes are small so easy to hide if need be! I’m on Copaxone which can be kept be kept outside of a fridge for 28 days. It probably isn’t a good idea to take breaks from prescribed medication if you can avoid it.

potter
1 year ago

I wasn’t encouraging anyone to skip a dose, I was trying to relate the different problems you can have with different DMT’s. Skipping a dose was recommended by my neuro instead of taking half doses or changing medication. Deciding on a DMT is difficult when first diagnosed, Rebif was the latest and greatest thing on the market when I was diagnosed, now there is so much more to choose from. Potter

molly89
1 year ago

It’s good to hear that copaxone can go outside a fridge for that long if required. It is hard to decide so I’m just exploring the options to see which one may be best for me.

spunky
1 year ago

@molly89
What DMTs did your Neurologist recommend for you? There are so many to choose from that it can be a bit overwhelming.

Mine recommended Aubagio (pill) or Copaxone (injection). I chose Aubagio since I know I would have a hard time giving myself a needle everyday.

molly89
1 year ago

@spunky
The MS nurse went thru the list of them and encouraged me to research and call in a few weeks. So I’ve done the list of pros/cons with my partner and actually think I’m leaning toward Aubagio as it is a pill vs injection. I travel a fair amount and to places with hot climates where injections might not be great outside of a fridge. So thanks very much for your info.

Did you find Aubagio easy to adjust to ?

spunky
1 year ago

@molly89
I found if very easy to adjust to Aubagio. I had a bit of a sore stomach and loose bowels for a week and then I was fine. During months 4-7 my hair thinned out but it has grown back now. It was overall thinning and not patchy. That was really the only downside and since I am a bit of a suck with needles it has been a great choice for me so far.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.