Last reply 4 days ago
Need some suggestions

Hi everyone. I’m new here..My name is Marisa and i was diagnosed with in MS in 2008. I was on Copaxone for 10 years and never had a relapse/ episode. Besides being tired at times, I would almost forget that I have MS until it was time to do my Copaxone injections. I was extremely happy on Copaxone but the only issue was it caused a lot of scar tissue under my skin. A year ago, I had my second child and the MS switch got turned on. For the first time ever my MRI showed that I had new lesions. My doctor instructed me that I should change my treatment. I recently started Tecfidera. I’m still working my way up to a full dose twice a day. It’s been a little difficult and not sure what to do or if i should try something else. Wondering what is the best treatment out there for MS….

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
1 week ago

Hello @ml1216, and welcome. The thing about DMDs is that what suits one might not work for another. And the good thing is, that unlike 20 years ago, there are so many now to choose from. Hopefully Tecfidera works for you. I take it too and love the fact that it doesn’t disrupt lifestyle, other than that you have to be careful to take it with food. So you have new lesions, but are you experiencing new symptoms? What a blessing that you had a great run of time keeping it at bay. Really hope you have success with Tec, if you do a search on here there are lots of tips and posts from others.

stumbler
1 week ago

Hi @ml1216 and welcome.

As @vixen says, there are a range of treatments now available, so it is a case of lifestyle choices and how much risk you are happy to accept.

This document goes through each of the options :-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/DMD-Book-Final-WEB.pdf

ml1216
1 week ago

@vixen and @stumbler thank you so much for responding and for the information!!! I’m going to give Tecfidera a try and hopefully I can tolerate it. I go back to my neurologist next.

grandma
1 week ago

Hi @ml1216 if you’ve only just gone on Tecfidera give it a chance, and don’t forget, no DMT actually cures ms, it’s just a matter of reducing relapses, calming down symptoms etc., so you can’t expect miracles immediately. I’ve been on Tec for 14 mths now, used to have 2/3 relapses a year, none so far🤞But we’re all very different and what might suit one may not suit another and you can always change if necessasy. Keep trying😜🤙

adelec
1 week ago

Been on Tec for over 2 years now had all the side affects in first few months but very rare now and so far so good no relapses x

ml1216
1 week ago

@grandma and @adelec thank you so for the info and for encouraging me to follow through with Tecfidera.

rmdaniels
1 week ago

Hi @ml1216! I’m just starting my full dose of Tecfidera this week… So far I’m very happy with it. The side effects were short lived, guess my body adapted quickly. Good luck!

ml1216
1 week ago

@rmdaniels I’m so glad you adapted so quickly. I hoping for the same. Any tips for starting my full dose?

rmdaniels
1 week ago

@ml1216
I do make sure to take my Tecfidera on a full stomach. Other than that, it has been pretty smooth. I started out with a half dose for 3 weeks before the full dose, my doctor said that would help. I had flushing that was annoying at first with the half dose, but it went away after a couple of weeks. So far no flushing with the full dose. I’d love to know how yours goes!

adelec
6 days ago

As above make sure to eat before you take it and something substantial as I was having fruit at first before my tablets and affects were not good but a lovely lady from the Tecfidera help line pointed me in the right direction hope it suits you and side affects go as fast as they arrive 🙂

ml1216
4 days ago

Thank you everyone!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.